Thread: Downloading/saving movie files I run across on the net

Downloading/saving movie files I run across on the net

I found out how to do this ...from websites like Google Video, YouTube, MySpace, using my Firefox browser. Briefly I download/install the Video Downloaderd extension for FF. Then I download/install Media Coder, which converts the flv file to avi. Now my WMP should play it.

A related tip was "Let the video load all the way on the page you find it, then search in temporary internet file, copy the video where you want and add the .flv extension if missing. Now watch it with flv-player." There's a link to download flv player.

But after I watched an msn.com video at www.msnbc.com of a car sliding on glare ice and bumping into 5-6 other cars, I didn't find this file...one looks for it in temp. internet files by looking for HUGE files.

Any suggestions as to whether I even can obtain these files and if not, why not?

If anyone is interested in this particular video, go to this link:

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=C2...s&fg=&GT1=8921

You may have to watch a brief video ad first.

If the link doesn't work, try going to www.msnbc.com or www.msn.com and looking for the video there about cars sliding on ice. It was posted there Jan. 16, was still there today Jan. 17. But these videos change constantly, so it may be gone by the time you get there.
    Last edited by wumply; January 17th, 2007 at 16:42 PM. Reason: To add additional information
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    i use the keepvid.com website quite often for youtube stuff... i'll check out the Firefox extension soon tho, as trying to get the actual movie url is difficult. The temp internet files arent reliable, as there are usually many files with different names etc...

Media coder seems good too, any other apps?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I'm wondering if you might consider going sometime to www.msn.com (this is where I get taken when I click on my IE desktop shortcut and seeing IF those videos are even downloadable. I've no idea as to the file type. (I have IE only because I like the news page with its many interesting articles and short videos.) BUT, if I type in www.msn.com when I am using my Firefox browser, I find that the content is often somewhat different than I find on the IE browser and the video/article I want often just isn't there. Thus a video may be only on msn.com accessed through my IE browser. I have no idea why this is so but it has been so for years in my experience.

Anyhow, Cash, could you see if you are able to download one of MSN's short videos? I don't yet have video downloading software yet but I'm just wondering if it's even possible to download those MSN videos--they're newsy videos and they change daily. I think the browsers play them; certainly WMP doesn't. (Same situation with BBC videos btw.)

The videos from my IE browser ...there are usually 4-5 on the left-hand side of the main page and clicking one any of them takes you to a page where you can play them and which has even more videos.

If you decide to check this out, let me know if they are downloadable. I'd appreciate that.

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cash_site View Post
    Media coder seems good too, any other apps?
    SUPER

Cash...problem solved. A friend here I live suggested the video was on Google and that I could download it from there, which I did.

But still interested in whether you were able to download it from MSNBC if you got to try to do that.

wumply

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    good that you were able to find the info on google... most times vids are cached on many different websites...

I'll try to investigate the msn vids... i think they are streaming content, so the normal saving wont work.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---