Thread: 15 cars colliding and caught on cam by man on rooftop

Bronze Member

15 cars colliding and caught on cam by man on rooftop

I stumbled across this video that very clearly shows why snowchains and studded tires have their uses. Some common sense and restraint on the lead (and/or brake) foot is also useful in this situation.

http://www.kgw.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=114046&catId=131]15 cars colliding and caught on tape by man on rooftop - Footage from KGW

I've never seen such sliding - even on the slick driving course track I was on when I took my license, where they use chemicals to make it slippery enough, we could stop relatively controlled, compared to this. Looks close to zero traction... What tires are they using - Soap tires? Cars are sliding sideways for long distances.

Probably this is the result of some freaky, very local temperature conditions, as cars making it out of the road onto an intersection seems to be able to stop readily enough.

Salting the roads, combined with temperatures around -7C to -8C and some snow will create an unholy mess. The snow and salt mix will not melt, but create a very fine ice powder with ice on the asphalt beneath (especially when the ground is colder than the air), giving a situation with fine ice powder on top of thin, hard ice. That might be what has happened here.

The road goes downhill and looks to be pretty steep.

Johan-Kr
    System1: iMac 27"
    System2: PowerMac dual 800 (mirrored drive doors), OsX 1.5 Leopard
    System3: EPoX 8KDA3+, 1Gb RAM, 4x1Tb - Raid5, CoolerMaster CM Stacker, FreeNAS.

Love the way the pedestrians are stood close by just watching. Recipe for disaster. Higher insurance bills next year then

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    wow... that is crazy... definitely very icey conditions, even the pedestrians were having trouble standing up!

Could have been a flash freeze and no time to salt the road!

I think a big problem is once people started drifting/skidding down the road, they just kept the brakes locked, and therefore like a rock is space it continues... do you think a bit of wheel rotation with the ice-chains could have helped to dodge?

We hardly ever get ice in my city (let alone rain somedays), so not much experience... it would have been very scarey for the drivers/passengers.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    One needs to obey the laws of physics.
    Icy roads don't care what you drive. I saw a Range Rover spin out and crash itself once because the driver thought the vehicle could handle it. What a dumb a$$. I had to laugh at him as I passed his wrecked SUV. 4X4 doesn't always mean traction.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Bronze Member
    I know. I drive an old style 4x4 myself, that has no diffs in the transfer box. Normal mode of operation (on normal roads) is rear wheel drive. (Since there's no center diff, the only way to equalize differences in wheel speed between front and rear is for one of the wheel pairs to slip a little. On dry roads this isn't possible, so driving in 4x4 then will end up with driveline wind-up.)

Anyway - on serious slippery roads like the one in the clip or with this ice/salt mix on sufficiently low temperature, I engage 4x4 when starting from a standstill, move into 2wd when driving normallyy and slipping it into 4x4 when going uphill. Starting from standstill with 2wd is no dice on very icy roads, even with studded tires. Going a little too fast downhill in 4wd with no center diff can be very dangerous, since no center diff means that the brake forces will be evenly distributed between all the wheels. If you lock one wheel pair, you lock both pairs, and the car will swap end-over-end in a blink!

4x4 can be a help with getting traction enough for going forwards or backwards, but it's no help in stopping the car, and sometimes a help and sometimes a nuissance when steering.

The most important part in any car is usually situated on top of the pice of flesh between the steering wheel and the chair Reducing speed in bad conditions is the most important thing you can do for your safety.

Johan-Kr
    System1: iMac 27"
    System2: PowerMac dual 800 (mirrored drive doors), OsX 1.5 Leopard
    System3: EPoX 8KDA3+, 1Gb RAM, 4x1Tb - Raid5, CoolerMaster CM Stacker, FreeNAS.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    I think the operative word here is "hill"....chains ain't gonna help in that case..common sense is what they needed to apply.....

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    perhaps common sense was to park the car and walk home

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---