Thread: computer won't re-start

Gold Member

computer won't re-start

Just received my new computer in the mail. Started loading XP Pro. Did the format, the install files were copied etc. and then it went into the first shutdown. It never restarted. I waited about a minute, nothing happened. I did notice there is a little red light on the front of the case for the hard drive. This light was light, but there were no fans running, and the DVD burner would not open for me to get the CD out. I manually pulled the plug out of the wall, and plugged it back in. Then when I push the ON buton, the lights and fans start for a second, and then shutdown. Waited about two hours and tried again. Same thing. If I pull the plug and then push the oN button, it starts for a second, and then off again. If I push the ON button again, nothing. I plan on calling the company, and I don't believe there will be a problem, but I just wanted some other opinion first. OH, that little red light for the hard drive never came on again. I disconnected the hard drive and tried again, no difference. This is a NO NAME computer. Many thanks for your replies, Mike

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hi Mike, don't mess with it. Call the company now and tell them it wouldn't start from the get go, you shouldn't have to put up with that.

Gold Member
    Hi FastGame, thanks for the reply. I just got off the phone with the computer repair guy. He took me through about 6 procedures, and he determined that it is the power supply. He is shipping a new one to me ASAP. My limited experiance with power suppplies was they either powered up, or there was nothing. He said you could get a surge for a second when you first turn them on, and then they shut off. ?????

Hey man,This actually reminds me of a similar expierience i once ad with a Compaq PC i had got the thing home.Plugged it up,everything powered up.Later i went to power it on and the thing just wouldnt start for no reason.

In my case it was a problem with the motherboard and they ended up giving me a new one same model.

Power surge can easily cause something to fry or the Power supply might have just been defective.

Gold Member
    Hi, bhxtyrant, He was not refering to an external power surge. He just meant that it WAS possible for a PSU to give power for a second or two when first started, and then shut off.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Yeah, the PSU can, obviously as shown in your situation, give power for 1 sec or so, then die... i've had a couple of PSU's exhibit this problem. Im not a power expert, but there must be some sort of electrical switch, i.e. a certain amperage or voltage is needed to kick start the power supply... probably a faulty transformer or regulator inside the PSU.

Let us know how you go with the replacement PSU.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Well, lets hope that its your PSU, and that you get it sorted out.

But (not to say that you're that dim-whitted - we all make oversights);

Could it be that when you pushin that power button, it doesnt come right back out (the spping behind the switch), even though it doesnt seem so?
    Might sound like a dum question, but I just thought I'd suggest it because it could certainly explain your problem.

Heres A Fact though, PSUs and Bad caps alike, can show IDENTICAL symptoms - lets just hope :|
    One day I bled,
    And felt Better

Gold Member
    Grim, Thanks for your reply (I think), but the first time this happened was when the computer re-booted itself. The power button was NOT touched.

Ahh, I see.

Would either be a bad cap or the PSU as you're thinking then ;p

When's your PSU arriving?
    One day I bled,
    And felt Better

Gold Member
    Hi, Got the new power supply. Installed it and everything powers up. Have reloaded XP Pro, and am installing all my other programs. Seems like it was in fact the power supply. Thanks for all your opinions and suggestions.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Glad you got it sorted!