Thread: Problems with laptop

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Problems with laptop

I post in the hardware section because I am suspecting that the problem is the hard drive. The laptop gets very very hot and that might have affected the HD, but I need to check it out and I can't think of the best way to do it.
    I have run scandisk a couple of times and found several errors. Some of you even know I had to use a boot disk to scan the hard drive to get the laptop to boot again.
    Here is the description of the problems:
    1)The laptop is part of a domain and because of that it uses the secure login, and after restarting of starting up 3 out of 5 times after pressing ctrl+alt+del I get the singing message (which we put using group policy) and then the window goes back to the "press ctrl+alt+del" window and I cannot log in (I never get the window to put the password)
    This never happens when the computer is locked by the screensaver or after hibernation. It only happens after a restart of a cold start. It mainly happens when I have to force the laptop to shut down. The forcing the laptop to shutdown is tied to the second problem.
    2)Sometimes the hard drive led goes on and stays like that for a long time. When this happens the laptop becomes un-responsive, same effect as if the CPU usage were 100%, but in the task manager it only shows normal usage (about 10~15%).
    This used to happen with Internet Explorer 6 when I connected the laptop to Internet using the DSL at my grandmother's house. It uses a USB modem (piece of trash). Anyhow, with Internet Explorer 7 it does not happen as much, but sometimes it has hiccups.
    It also happens 90% of chance when I listen to mp3. I think this does not happen with all my music, but it does with most of it. And in Winamp and WMP, so it is not the player (maybe the codec?)
    Considering I am not at home I have been using the laptop a lot, and the HD also filled up quite fast. I bought a couple of DVDs to put some things out (I am acustom to my large HD in the desktop) but I have defragmented the laptop a couple of times and nothing.
    Well, any suggestion will be appreciated since this is keeping me from Internet much of the time.
    I searched the HD for bugs with McAfee (antivirus) and Ad-Aware and Spybot and nothing (beside things that I want, like Cain&Abel)

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    It sounds more like the cpu overheating rather than the HD.Does your cooling fan go into high and stay on most of the time when you use intensive apps or cd/dvd drives?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    You might be able to open the case and blow-air or vacuum around the CPU and Heatsink / fan for dust build up...

If you do suspect the HD, there should a be few good HD scanners around, and some that can repair bad-sectors....

But, i would suggest you do a full backup of your critical data files

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

well
    The backup is a good advise, but it does not have DVD burner so I will pass on to make 30 CDs. It does get really hot.
    I will see to get the data out once I am back at my house, and then see if I can fix it.

well, new progress. I unistalled McAfee and the laptop is running a lot better. Now it doesn't lookup as often and the hard drive led doesn't stay lit for long periods of time as it used to do before.
    Also I used perfon (Performance Monitor), and the pages counter would spike every so often, so I opened a new sesion and added all memory counters. It seems it is registering a lot of faults, and that makes the pages spike (transition faults, page faults and demand zero faults)
    I compared it with my grandmothers PC and I have about 4 times more considering I am not running anything in the laptop, but her computer had a couple of programs open. I don't know if they are soft or hard faults.
    So, I got to focus on testing the RAM, any suggestions?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Try MemTest86, there's a CD iso floating around... I installed some more SDRAM in my old pc, and it became very unstable. BSOD and windows errors... did a test and found 15,000 errors! (i.e. 1 of the chips was damaged out of 8).

But i think if it even has 1 error, then the ram is faulty. I think when the ram is faulty, the CPU uses a lot more swap memory,hence the HD usage

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I will try it and let you know of the results