Thread: Windows memory diagnostics tool..

Windows memory diagnostics tool..

Hey guys,
    everytime i start my computer now i get a screen that comes up called windows diagnostics tool. Says checking for memory problems. I wait until the scan is finished when it is it just restarts the scan all over again and will keep going.

Anyone ever hear of this and how do i stop it and be able to use my computer again. Because all the computer will do it this scan. PLEASE HELP BECAUSE I USE THIS COMPUTER FOR SCHOOL.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Don't know what thats all about unless you have a CD or Floppy in the PC booting to that program

Never encountered that event. However, I would proceed by, with power off and computer unplugged, remove and then re-insert the memory. Start the computer and see if condition is still present.

If the problem remains, you will need to buy new memory. You can always find a bargain here. LINK

i got the message after i used a program to remove vista beta. It said to make a bootcd or something so i did..little did i know it didnt burn right. So i cannot access windows and has nothing to do with bad memory. Any ideas now?

The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests. If you are experiencing problems while running Windows, you can use the diagnostic to determine whether the problems are caused by failing hardware, such as RAM or the memory system of your motherboard. Windows Memory Diagnostic is designed to be easy and fast. On most configurations, you can download the diagnostic, read the documentation, run the test and complete the first test pass in less than 30 minutes.

To run Windows Memory Diagnostic, you must reboot your computer with the disk or CD-ROM on which you installed Windows Memory Diagnostic in the drive. After the reboot, Windows Memory Diagnostic will load and its interface will appear. After loading, the first test pass will begin, using the default standard test suite, and continue until complete, unless Windows Memory Diagnostic is either paused or exited. Once the first test pass is complete, Windows Memory Diagnostic will begin a second test pass using the same settings as before. Windows Memory Diagnostic will continue to run test passes until you exit.
    Now I'd like to know how that thing is running @boot unless the CD or floppy is in the PC

What OS are you using ?

i was currnetly running beta vista

Do you have important data on the PC that you need ?

If Vista is the only OS and you don't have important data then format the HD and reinstall the OS.

Other than that you'll need to wait until one of our members who use Vista comes by, I don't know Vista very well.

Sorry

i have nothing important on this computer i sent it to my desktop that im currently on. All i need is instructions on how to reformat the hard drive

Put the OS installation CD in your drive, boot PC to the CD and when it get to the part asking where to install it should be high-lighting the main drive partition. Choose that partition and its going to say something about losing all data, enter ok (Y for yes) then it'll format the drive and install the OS.

Once again, I've never installed Vista so I don't know if things have changed from the other OS (98, ME, 2000, XP) but it should take care of everything for you, you just answer questions at the prompt.

If you run into anything you don't understand please come back and ask, don't bork the PC.

Good luck
    Last edited by FastGame; January 30th, 2007 at 04:08 AM.

The most i can do is when my laptop starts up i hit F12 then boot from cd and the it will read it for a second the the windows memory diagnostic tool will come up and their is no escaping it

This "Windows Memory Diagnostic" mystery is really bugging me.....

Is this CD an RW and you happen to have the "Windows Memory Diagnostic" on it ?

Network the laptop to the PC Go to "My Computer" in the PC and see if the LT drive shows up. If it does right click on the LT drive and choose format.

When you're done make sure no CD's or flash drives are connected to that LT.
    Last edited by FastGame; January 30th, 2007 at 05:17 AM.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    huh never heard of that before

I don't know what LT you have but you need to get into the bios. On boot try the delete key or the later F9 to F12 keys. Once in the bios go to the boot order section and set everything to boot CD-Rom and leave the HD out of the mix.

If this works and the OS installs when it goes to re-boot you'll need to go into the bios again, set to boot CD-Rom first and HD second.
    Last edited by FastGame; January 30th, 2007 at 06:31 AM.