Thread: 800 MHz or 200 MHz

Gold Member

800 MHz or 200 MHz

I have a program called Belarc Advisor on my computer. If I run the program and look at MOTHERBOARD, it says BUS CLOCK 200 Megahertz. The computer was supposed to have a 800 MHz FSB. In the past when I would run this program on other computers, I would always see 800 MHz. My current computer is supposed to have a 800 MHz FSB ??? I have another program called Everest Home, and when I run it, and look at Motherboard, Front side bus properties, it says REAL CLOCK 200MHz (QDR), and then EFFECTIVE CLOCK 800 MHz. What does the QDR mean ?
    The motherboard is a ECS P4M890T-M2 I know it is not the greatest, but is the FSB 800 or 200 ??? It has a Pentium D 3.4 GHz Dual core 945 processor. Thank you for your replies.
    Last edited by mike13; February 3rd, 2007 at 04:05 AM.

An excerpt from Introduction to PC Hardware -- H. Gilbert

Front Side Bus (FSB)The CPU transfers data to the "Northbridge" chip on the mainboard. From there it can go to memory, the video card, or the I/O bus. An Intel CPU transfers data 4 times for every cycle of the CPU socket clock. So while the actual clock speed may be 200 MHz, an Intel CPU chip is typically described as having an 800 MHz Front Side Bus. AMD is more complicated. The old 32 bit Athlon processors transferred data only twice per clock cycle. With a CPU clock of 166 MHz, the FSB is 333 MHz. However, the new Athlon 64 CPU chip has its own integrated memory controller and a high speed HyperTransport integrated I/O bus. FSB numbers would be meaningless. There is no Northbridge chip between the CPU and other devices. The CPU can use its direct connection to memory while at the same time performing high speed I/O to video or other devices.

Gold Member
    efc, thanks for the explanation.