Thread: psw.x-virus trojan

psw.x-virus trojan

i have a hp latop computer infected with adware/spyware you name it, it has it. what can i use to clean this up witout formatting the computer and starting fresh ?

London, U.K.
    First do this ...

Download Ewido/AVG Anti Spyware from here ….

It has a fully working 30 day trial period.

Install it and update it to the latest definitions.

Do NOT use it yet.

Now boot to safe mode. Here’s a “how to” if you’re not sure ..

When in safe mode run a full system scan with AVGAS and let it fix what it wants to.

REMEMBER TO SAVE THE SCAN REPORT and also remember where you saved it.

[FOOTNOTE > this is a good program to use as an “on demand” scanner even after the trial period is over. Keep it updated and use it to scan your computer from time to time].

If all your work doesn't succeed in fixing the problem download HijackThis from here ...

unzip & install it ...
    open the program ...
    from the menu click on "Do a system scan and save a logfile".

Copy and paste both the AVG AS scan report and the HJT logfile to this thread. More specific removal instructions will follow for whatever it is that's causing the problem.

Please also update us on your latest problems when you next post, or, if all is well again, please let us know.

“The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts.” Eugene H. Spafford

Member ASAP

There are lots of things to try. First you need to knock out all the major infections or none of the removal tools will work properly for this I use E-Scan, you can download a trial version which will remove stuff from Then run all the freebies - Spybot search and Destroy, AVG Anti-Spyware and X-Cleaner.

At this point you should be able to use the PC properly- if you can't then maybe a wipe and reload is necessary after all.

You can just about always recover without a reload if you are familiar with the registry and lots of malware utilities like HJT, Killbox, Autoruns, Filemon, Regmon and Registrar Lite but if the time to do it is stretching out too long then the reload is quicker and guaranteed to work.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?