Thread: Opinions about need for a Trojan-detecting program

Opinions about need for a Trojan-detecting program

I have Avast now, plus Cyberhawk (free version, it uses behavioral analysis, not signatures), I have CounterSpy for spyware. I run them weekly as well as having them active fulltime.

But somewhere I read the other day that Trojans now outnumber Windows viruses and worms by 4 to 1...that infected emails have fallen significantly from 1 in 44 during 2005 to 1 in 337 in 2006. (This might have been from Sophos--not sure) The BBC noted that cyber criminals have moved their focus to the web (rather than individual computers I assume). This last is I gather because of lax security on websites.

I do get tempted to get Trojan Hunter ($49)--it has an impressive carefully done review at http://www.anti-trojan-software-revi...jan-hunter.htm

I'd be interested in what different people think of the foregoing and whether they feel or don't feel a need for a good Trojan Hunter program.

And any impression on Avast's ability to catch Trojans?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    No!!

Avast and Cyberhawk should be enough, ditch CounterSpy.

If you want extra protection try SuperAntiSpyware free version or AVG Anti-Spyware Free

Look at This test for how AV's stack up.

AV-Comparatives is the best on how AV's and AntiMalware apps perform. click on "Comparatives" and scroll down to read all test.

wumply, I don't think you're a bad boy. Don't get paranoid and OD on the security apps, to many are worst than an infection
    Last edited by FastGame; February 9th, 2007 at 14:37 PM. Reason: Fixed link

Why do you say: "Ditch Counterspy"?

And so you don't feel that a program like Trojan Hunter would do a better job of catching Trojans since it is dedicated to that goal more than one would expect Cyberhawk and Avast to be?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I said "Ditch CounterSpy" because there's things better and use less resources IMHO.

Trojan Hunter is outdated IMO, AVG Anti-Spyware Free will do better.

Avast has good Trojan detection, Cyberhawk should stop them from installing so what are you looking for ?

According to latest test AntiVir is at the top in Trojan detection. Change Avast to AntiVir if you're worried.

Use Firewall that has outbound detection.

Nothing is 100% and people do get struck by lightning on the golf coarse. How's your Karma ?

BTW, I fixed the AV-Comparatives link