Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Vista really worth it.

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Well, la-de-freakin'-da.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Its OK Piaqt, i dont get it either.. the only fibre i get at my house is All-bran breakfast cereal!

I just ran the vista compatibility tool on my laptop, and it said there would be compatibility issues with almost all the onboard devices i.e. LAN, Sound, Wifi ?!

Who is M$ kidding? Unless they have good marketing, this will be a tech flop... hence the rumours of next O/S only 1 week after VISTA world release!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    I tend to agree with Petard....I ..lol bought the utimate edition...installed 32 and 64 bit versions on different drives (left XP alone) and will just tweak as tweaks become available...time will tell if I wasted my money or not. For right now some things are cool...others s**k..drivers for the most part piss me off...but not the first time there either...lol...will just have to be patient and see what happens.

I also bought the ultimate edition. No driver problems, but it's a relatively new laptop, labeled "Vista Compatible", and the previous O/S was Vista RC2.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    I'll be running 2 versions.

I'll be purchasing an OEM version of Ultimate (32-bit) for my main machine.
    My main machine is a 64-bit system but because of the driver and software compatabilty issues i will stick with the 32-bit Ultimate version for now. I'll go for the OEM because i don't plan on upgrading my mobo for a year or so, and also the OEM is 1/3 of the price of the full retail version.

I'll be running Home Premium on my new Acer laptop (came with a free Home Premium upgrade).

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I think the key to all the compatibility issues is buying a new PC/laptop with an OEM Ultimate pre-installed. At least most of the drivers should be certified and compatible, and then as Piper suggested, do tweaks as we find them

Its going to be a hard nut to crack, but i think soon, as more tech people jump the bandwagon and delve into the bolts of the system we'll see some good gains.

Rev, did you get your OEM version from USA? How can the pricing be soo different?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site View Post
    Rev, did you get your OEM version from USA? How can the pricing be soo different?
    No, bought it here.

£120 for the OEM or £340 for the full retail.

You can see why i went for the OEM.

That's a (very) little more than I paid for an OEM of Vista Ultimate.

love, piaqt

Well, I don't pretend to be as knowledgeable as some of the "wise ones" here, but I agree with Cash in an earlier post, I think I'm going to skip it until I build a brand spanking new "latest and greatest" for personal use.

I'm thinking Vista just may turn out to be the "ME" for Microsoft, simply the WORST OS I've ever worked with between 98 and XP.

Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by piaqt View Post
    That's a (very) little more than I paid for an OEM of Vista Ultimate.
    Yep, the OEM's are comparable in price over here thats why i went for the OEM of Vista Ultimate.

The retail version of Ultimate is approx £340 ($663) over here compared to $379 in the US.

The full retail version is a bit more flexible compared to the OEM regarding the licensing for a major hardware change (motherboard) , but if you are not planning to upgrade your motherboard in the next year or so i recommend running the OEM which will still allow you to reactivate after changing other hardware.

When i do eventually upgrade my motherboard i'll purchase another OEM license for it which will still work out cheaper as I can get 3 OEM licenses for the same price as a single retail license. And by the time i upgrade my motherboard again the next version of Windows will be released.