Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Vista really worth it.

Is Vista really worth it.

Is Vista really worth using.i have seriously thought about using it any tips?

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    If you have the cash and the hardware to support the OS,then go for it.Many are waiting for the bugs to be worked out via a service pack #1,however.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Thanks, but ti believe my hardware is not fast enough. i only have a 2.4 celeron d processor an 768 mb of ram

In my view, no not really. Vista is just another 50 million lines of code that havent been debugged properly! If you like the vista look and want a good stable OS, keep XP and download the Vista Transformation Pack .

I must admit though Vista does have a few good features .

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Vista must be worth it for it to succeed. Or it will effectively become a severe bottleneck to graphic chip makers who rely on customers to buy their video cards to get the latest game effects. DirectX 10 will not be a feature in Windows XP and will be VISTA only and if only 5% of gamers switch to Vista then where will they get their cash from? And that means that new games will suffer since they will only be run in the older pixel shading modes of DirectX 9 using Windows XP. I know I am waiting until I get it with a new PC when I buy one but dual core is strong enough to last three years or even 5 at the pace the software is going..
    Last edited by egghead; February 13th, 2007 at 11:56 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    I think it'll be worth it once all the minor glitches get ironed out.

I think one of the important things is the hardware though. Vista is a hardware intensive machine and you definately want to make sure you're computer is at least above the minumum specs. At the min specs or below and I wouldn't even think about upgrading.

I hear vista prevents soundcards from direct access to the system so no more direct hardware acceleration and only software emulation from now on.....

edit

here is the proof....

Australia, January 29, 2007 - "Windows Vista and DirectX 10 signal a new era in gaming," so says Mark Walker, Microsoft columnist and gaming evangelist. And he's but one of a chorus of voices from within and without Microsoft touting the merits of the next generation of Windows when it comes to gaming.

So imagine your surprise when you fire up one of your favourite games in Vista - say World of Warcraft or Prey - only to find your fancy EAX-endowed soundcard and 5.1 surround speakers are dribbling out flat, unenhanced stereo sound. Then, in a vain attempt to spruce up the audio by enabling EAX, you get a nice taut error message saying EAX is not detected on your hardware. What's going on?
    Welcome to the world of Vista audio. And a brave new world it is.

The root of all these problems? Microsoft's Windows team made the bold decision to rewrite the Vista audio stack from the ground up, and in doing so they removed hardware acceleration for DirectSound. That's right. They took hardware support away from the most ubiquitous sound API implemented in games over the past several years.

As a result, in many of today's games, all those feature-laden sound cards, with their multiple channels, audio extensions and hardware accelerated processors, become little better than common garden variety on-board sound running in software mode. Naturally, Creative Labs (amongst others) is pissed.
    Read more

now we only need to find some security state backdoors and we can see why billy bought ownership in the four seasons hotel chain...lol
    Last edited by egghead; February 13th, 2007 at 15:56 PM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Gee, vista is more restricting than DRM on mobiles! argh... So, SP1 is due in a few months, and then 'Vienna' next O/s is due in couple of years ?! I think i might be skipping Vista

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

It's not really the OS you use it's the applications. Until the application you need to use only runs on a Vista subsystem there is little reason to upgrade(a marketing word for change to a later version) your OS. Later versions are not necessarily superior and many people could still be using Windows 98 and Office 97 feature wise but the marketing machine makes you think that only chav scum use anything other than the latest versions.

I will have to use it because I have to support it, that's the only reason.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curio View Post
    I will have to use it because I have to support it, that's the only reason.
    Same here building a test box now for work with vista. Personally I will not upgrade my home pc until there is better driver support and more companys release Vista ready patches for all my apps. XP handles MOH,COD, Painkiller just fine.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Once the 64-bit version of Vista is cleaned up and most of the popular software is coded for 64-bit Vista, then Vista will be a monster OS. As well as forging the path to a full 64-bit Desktop. 64-bit games will be tremendous.

Remember when Windows first came out. If you didn't have Microsoft stock then you missed out on some serious fortune. Now it's not as profitable but still a good stock. However, back then third-party hardware vendors saw huge gains in stock worth - especially video cards. I think the same will happen again for video and sound card manufacturers. Not to mention more companies that integrate media into home PCs. Face it, soon we'll all have servers in our house. Then eventually we'll all buy homes that are pre-wired for ethernet with server racks built into a utility closet. Very cool in a geek sort of way.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

You make an interesting point petard and got me thinking outside the box...

Back in the Dos days with Windows 3.1, I needed to shut down windows to play the best dos games that took advantage of video cards using VESA. they really could not run on windows 3.1. So what I am getting at is the bigger picture may in fact be Microsoft throwing out the old Dos ways(32 bit) and getting everyone to move to a new direction(64-bit) filled with unseen products and next generation system technology that would not be possible under the old model as we know it was with this xp/vista 32 bit era. the 64bit era is expected to bring visuals and computing powerhouse technology to the mases.... However, companies need a boost or a better reason to write 64 bit drivers and code and if you think about... what better way to make companies join the next phase in computing by changing the underlining ways the computer computes. This should force all companies that rely on Windows users to buy their products to rethink and reshape their old current technology so that they will follow the new model and move ahead to the new 64 bit way since it will be more powerful. Microsoft removing hardware acceleration from Directx will change the OS creating much needed stability. There will be much more options in a software only model and with the bandwagon now realizing it is time to go to 64bit operations, I feel that we will notice zero difference than we had with hardware mode. Meaning that the new 64 bit sound cards and video cards under the new model may be truly the must have products that will do things we only dreamed we could do with our now hardware only accelerated products....

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I think Vista is in trouble, only time will tell......

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by petard View Post
    soon we'll all have servers in our house. Then eventually we'll all buy homes that are pre-wired for ethernet with server racks built into a utility closet. Very cool in a geek sort of way.

You mean...you don't have that now?

I had my house pre-wired ethernet when it was built 8 years ago. Lots of houses being built today are being pre-wired for either ethernet or fiber.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Fiber is the big thing in our neighborhood. Verizon finished installing it's base FIOS underground last summer. So many of the neighbors are jumping on the FIOS band-wagon and ditching Comcast.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig