Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erratic Time on PC - [FIXED]

(Deep in the wilds of) Leicestershire, UK

Erratic Time on PC - [FIXED]

Just recently the date/time on my PC has been slow. If I set it to the correct time, within an hour it is minutes slow.

Is this a sign of impending failure of something?

Thanks

The first thing that comes to mind would be your CMOS battery.If it is dead or dieing it could cause problems with the clock settings for your PC.

Another thing which actually happened to me before was the time settings allow you to sync your time from a server and the server i choose could not connect which caused my Pc to have incorrect time zones an hour behind the current time.

I dont think it's a sign of failure but what i said above are my guesses.Someone else here might have more idea's

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    well if your pc is on and its losing time I dont think its the CMOS battery since the battery is there to keep the date/time and other things correct while the pc is powered off.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Someone else here might have more idea's
    Your's were fine

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    well if your pc is on and its losing time I dont think its the CMOS battery since the battery is there to keep the date/time and other things correct while the pc is powered off.
    Thats true but if you are on your PC when the time is incorrect it would update the CMOS time to match.So once you restart the PC it would still be incorrect until you correct it again.

the Cmos battery only operate at the time your pc is turn off and it is unplug or your AVR is turn-off..try to correct the time then turn-off your pc unplug-it or turn-off AVR (UPS if any), then turn on again your pc..if the time resets again then the problem is your cmos battery.if it does not reset,then your battery don't have a problem...but in your case i understand that if you are using the pc without shuting down your time going slower or the time became delay..in this case I can't help you.I dont have any experience like that.
    Eat Safe to Ride Safe

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    i reckon the idea about the windows time update is pretty good. How do you know you're setting the correct time?? He might be setting it 4 mins fast... then windows connects to NTP and updates the time correctly (but 4 mins slower relative to the User) ? Einstein

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thanks for the replies. The cmos battery seems OK as all the settings are retained when the power is off. The option to sync with an internet time server is definately off.

I set the time quite accurately and then within a relatively short time the clock is way out. It drives my backup software crazy! The backup is scheduled for 11:30 and does kick in but the clock seems to get to somewhere near 12 and then goes back to 11:00 ish. Weird or what so the backup kicks in again. Its difficult to see what is happening exactly as I can't sit here and clock watch all the time........

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roadster View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The cmos battery seems OK as all the settings are retained when the power is off. The option to sync with an internet time server is definately off.

I set the time quite accurately and then within a relatively short time the clock is way out. It drives my backup software crazy! The backup is scheduled for 11:30 and does kick in but the clock seems to get to somewhere near 12 and then goes back to 11:00 ish. Weird or what so the backup kicks in again. Its difficult to see what is happening exactly as I can't sit here and clock watch all the time........
    What happens if you Sync the time with a time server?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I have seen Norton AV cause this also.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    What happens if you Sync the time with a time server?

"An error occurred while Windows was synchronising with time.windows.com."

The time on the task bar doesn't seem to be able to get past 12:00 approx so I've set the clock to GMT (14:24)

I'll sit and watch it.................

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    I have seen Norton AV cause this also.
    Nope, don't have Norton.

Hmmmmm...............

Sat in front of PC and watched it click over to 15:00 still in sync with ntp.greenwichmeantime.com . Switched off, made a cuppa, switched back on and hey presto time now 1hr 2mins slow. Got to be the cmos battery???

I think the time went back to the last manual adjustment. Does this make any sense at all??

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    thats what gets me if your pc is LEFT ON it does not use the battery at all. so something else is causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    thats what gets me if your pc is LEFT ON it does not use the battery at all. so something else is causing it.
    And I get no errors during POST. It does check the battery level doesn't it?