Thread: Best Broadband?

Best Broadband?

Totally fed up with Orange (nee Wanadoo) - line being dropped on a regular basis and max bandwidth is 4 meg - even tho I pay for 8. Any suggestions out there? UK based & any input appreciated. Nothing can be worse than my provider.
    Thanks in anticipation.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Apart from a short spell with Freeserve (taken over by Wanadoo) who were my first internet providers, i have since always been with BT.

You will never find a perfect ISP and BT are certainly not perfect, but i have found their support to be good and speeds above average for my ADSL line.

Line checker states my line can carry an approx max of 3 meg but i normally average 4.5 - 5 meg day and night.

Bear in mind line speeds are dependent on the quality of your line and distance from the exchange.

For alternatives i would suggest perhaps Nildram, Pipex or Zen.

A good guide to providers is the thinkbroadband site (formerly known as ADSLguide)

You could also try NTL if you want to take the cable route, but i know a lot of cable users who suffer with speeds because as far as i am aware they implement a higher user to line ratio.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Go ahead. Rip my heart out and stomp on it. Talk about those fast speeds. My service is 1.5 MB. The fastest I ever get is 1.2 MB
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    Go ahead. Rip my heart out and stomp on it. Talk about those fast speeds. My service is 1.5 MB. The fastest I ever get is 1.2 MB
    Oh and you do the same, rip my heart out and beat it with a sledge hammer ! The fastest I get is 6kbs

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame View Post
    The fastest I get is 6kbs
    And you still use a length of string with a tin can on each end as a phone line.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
    And you still use a length of string with a tin can on each end as a phone line.
    Ha-ha! Talk to you long distance FG!

Hmm. Looks like I shouldn't really be moaning. Its the line dropping thats truly annoying as I'm playing an on-line game and obviously have to re-log. The line quality and distance issue is, of course, the point wanadoo made when I contacted them. Whilst valid it is a bit of a 'catch all' and unbeknown to them I had recently had cause to be visited by a BT engineer who kindly did a full line check (including huge high speed data dump). His results proved my line had a capability of (sorry FastGame [SlowGame?]) 16 meg !! Surprisingly my e-mail detailing this fact has gone unanswered for a month and the contact us by e-mail function has been removed from the re-vamped Orange site. Struck a nerve there methinks. Many thanks for the info Rev. I'll check these out and if I decide to move I'll post an update.