Thread: DVD-R brands

DVD-/+R brands

Hey guys,Just had a quick question.Im about to buy a few selections of blank DVD-R's.These are coming from Best buy but most brands there are ones i haven't used before.So i wanted to see which would be the best bang for the buck as i already know that cheaper brands can cause coasters.So the brands are as follows..

Verabatim (havent used but friend of mine had trouble with them)
    Dynex (never used or really heard about these)
    Fuji (use these alot probally my favorite brand)
    Sony (used on occasion)
    Memorex (seen lots of issues with these from friends)
    Maxell (never tryed)

All are 16x DVD-R.I will more then likely stick with Fuji but just in case they dont have that brand would be good to have a fallback.Thanks guys.

EDIT:forgot to add they have these in DVD + R and DVD - R i usually stick to - but was wondering if i might have better expierience with + media.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; March 1st, 2007 at 19:32 PM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I have always liked Verbatim. Never had a problem with them.

I have also used Dynex and not had problems with them either.

I will NEVER use Memorex and Maxell
    Last edited by rik; March 2nd, 2007 at 00:05 AM.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Also bear in mind you don't always have to go for the fastest speeds.
    In my experience i have found 4x and 8x will be playable in far more DVD players than 16x.

I use Mirror Platinum 4x and 8x.

CDR Zone have a good selection of DVD MEDIA reviews here

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Thanks for the replies guys,I will have to check out verbatim and dynex since i havent tryed them before.

@Rev
    Yeah i know i never burn over 8x so speed isnt most important.Most DVD-R's these days are usually 8 or 16X anyway.I will check out those reviews as well.Thanks

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    You can't go by brand name, they use various manufacturers and are always switching

Any brand name "Made in Japan" are my top picks along with Verbatim Advanced Azo made any where except India or Mexico.

I wouldn't use Dynex, I've always found FuJi & TDK (both Made in Japan) on sale @Best Buy that were cheaper than the crummy brands.

Is there a reason you're limiting yourself to DVD-R ?

Nope no reason i use DVD+R as well also RW's on occasion but R's are always of more use to me as i dont often need to erase RW's so dont buy them unless i know i will need them.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; March 3rd, 2007 at 05:53 AM.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I agree with FG. Made in Japan is what should be important. There is an article here somewhere about CD-Rs quality and their degrading. I had to throw 20 Memorex (the only 20 that I had bought of that brand). I had used Sony (my favorite) and TDK with no problem.
    Once I am back in US I will make a test. I keep some of different brands with the same content in my car. After 3 months the one that can still be read are good (My car seems to keep a lot of humidity inside and CDs last little to nothing)

Hey Dehcbad,
    Yeah i know what you mean there i had the same issue with memorex before.I usually stick to Fuji,TDK,and on occasion sony.I've used verabatim before as well but some are just better then others it seems.Fuji is the only one that never let me down all the others i had some here and there problems with mainly TDK and verabatim and others i steer clear from because of the reputation of being horrible.That was really the main point of this topic to see whats the best out there as some brands like dynex i havent used or heard of until now.

I actually remember that topic on CD-R's that one came in quite handy for me in those days.Would be nice to see a similar one for DVD-R's.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I think that Nero can do the cd check and it will tell you where it was manufactured. If it is from Japan, it usually is a good CD. If it is from somewhere else or doesn't say, there is a higher chance that will end up being a bad CD