Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy to Use / Install Linux

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar

Easy to Use / Install Linux

Ok guys, following everyone's lead and finally jumping on the Linux bandwagon, i'll be making the jump this weekend (sort of - I got a spare pc)

But i need some quick info on the Best Free Linux at the moment.

Requirements

* User friendly
    * easy to install
    * out of box multimedia (DVD + AVI)
    * Networking support (LAN, WiFi, Remote Desktop)
    * Gaming (Support Ati 9200, Creative 5.1)
    * CD/DVD Burning
    * Im going to run OpenOffice, FFox, Thunderbird
    * Support External USB SATA HDs
    * Antivirus / Spyware scanner

That's it... please give any advice on each topic. Once a set of apps has been chosen, i'll get the download links too

Cheers all

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    In your case I would get PC Linux Big Daddy.I have that distro on one of my HD's and have Avast free security suite.It supports usb 2.0 cd dvd roms.I believe it offers a special version for Nvidia and ATI cards.My Nvidia 6600GT set up just fine and I upgraded from the suppositories to the latest drivers from the manufacturer.Auto update even fixed a problem I was having with Firefox not being able to play real content.Oh and it comes with openoffice.org.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zipp51 View Post
    I upgraded from the suppositories
    Did you now...does that make it easier to sit in front of your computer?

Thanks for the info guys, its a great help... Efc gave me some great pointers for the Xandrox software - im definitely impressed by it and will eventually head in that direction... but since im just starting out, i would like to experiment still...

The SuperGamer PCLinuxOS looks great - but i cant download that much just as yet... what is the smallest package to download?

Update: Ok, i think its coming down to suse10.2 and PCLinux2007 ... they have a great Desktop Environment and some cool features.

What are the main pro / cons for each?

Download links
    Last edited by cash_site; February 23rd, 2007 at 02:38 AM. Reason: new info

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Any distro (version) you choose is gonna take some getting used to. Don't think of this as a "new OS version" or a "new version of Windows"...Go at it like this is a new version of "I don't know what the hell I am doing but know what I want to do"!

Ease into it with any distro that will run as a Live cd. Get a feel for what is there and what things are listed as. All the OS's have esentially the same info but it's labeled differently or maybe just in a different place.

The Linux Mint that FG mentioned has some of the same things as Windows and called by the same names so you might want to start there. 98% of the distros are available as a free download and most of those will run "Live".

Just pick one. I have run M A N Y!! It will take some time for you to get a feel for what you like and where to find things, but once you get the hang of it I'm sure You will love the adventure.
    Last edited by rik; February 23rd, 2007 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    Did you now...does that make it easier to sit in front of your computer?

Actually a new chair would be better.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Great advice Rik, thx buddy.

I've started downloading PCLinux2007 LiveCD. Was only 700mb single cd, compared to Suse10.2 with 5/6 CDs I really want to try it out over the weekend.

I do have that mindset of knowing what to do, but not where to looketh... so it's going to be frustrating but also exciting...

i found the http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php site, which has good info.

PS. Where did FG's post go with the different links?? BB must be lurking and pruning

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    PS. Where did FG's post go with the different links?? BB must be lurking and pruning

I was messing around and by accident............

PCLOS 2007 should work pretty good on your system but remember its a test release, the final should be out in a week or so.

If you need help I'm here and there, try here first

You should also get Linux Mint so you can see what GNOME is like, PCLOS is KDE. See which desktop is best for you.

DistroWatch has all the links.

Thanks FG...

I just finished downloading PCLOS, from the screenies it looks pretty flash, and with rotating screens I checked out Linux Mint after Rik suggested it as well... and damn, it looks good too!! No wonder Gnome and KDE are competing, very impressive. I liked LMint too, as it was only a 690mb download. But with only the third release 'Bianca' i dont know the reliability, perhaps when it gets more mature... what are your thoughts?

I'm about to try to boot into PCLOS LiveCD... cross my fingers (i'll let you know how it goes)

Im reading through the wiki guide as well... i think the big help will be needed when i go to try and install to the HD!

Cheers

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    ah yes....another one bites the dust....lmao

yeah i know Piper.. but if Vista is what M$ has got to offer.. then i think lots of people will be jumping ship

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I liked LMint too, as it was only a 690mb download. But with only the third release 'Bianca' i dont know the reliability, perhaps when it gets more mature... what are your thoughts?
    It should be reliable, its basically a modified version of Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy. I think its the nicest Gnome distro ....just that I like KDE better. They have a KDE version coming out.

PCLinuxOS is the distro hopper stopper

OK, after playing with PCLinuxOS LiveCD for a couple days, i must say its pretty impressive. Nice GUI, good features built right-in.. LOL, its now time to actually work out what i want to do and see which apps are best to use

I'll give LMint a look, just so i can wage in the debate on Gnome and KDE

Thanks for all the help... any more info is greatly appreciated. Especially with networking and AV/spyware stuff on linux. And Wifi support?

cheers guys, keep up the good work!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Networking is easy as pie, go into PCLOS control center and push buttons. Wifi support is the bane of Linunx, its getting much better but you either have supported hardware or you don't......but I'm not a Wifi expert....

"AV/spyware" what the heck is that ??? re-training is needed, you don't need those things in Linux. There's plenty of free Linux AV's incase you feel the need to protect Windows on the network, I let the Windows AV do that.