Thread: DVD burner issue,

DVD burner issue,

Hey guys,well i think my burner just kicked the ol' bucket but i thought i should give it a shot maybe someone knows something i don't.So heres the deal i have a Lite-On DVD +/- RW dual layer burner. SOHW-1633S when i originally got it after i a while i began having issues burning DVD-R media a firmaware update fixed that and it worked ever since.Recently i been burning DVD+R media and all was working fine until last night.I ended up making 4 coasters.

The DVD seems to burn fine using nero but when i put the DVD in the player it reads as an audio CD and not a DVD giving out a strange scratching noise.

The burner also seemed to have trouble reading a normal DVD i was attempting to copy one which worked fine about a week and a half ago.

Im fairly sure it might be going bad but if anyone has any suggestions im open.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Sounds like its time for new drive. Seems like recently I've gone through a few drives, they don't make them like they use to at least the dang things are cheap now-a-days

Haha yep this one has served me pretty well for a good 2 years or so.Not to bad as i've heard of drives burning out far quicker from many people.I was looking at an LG DVD-RW DL 18x burner with lightscribe for about $50 i've seen other brands cheaper on newegg but thats not to bad.

Definently was a first for me though lol i cant get why it seems to burns fine but DVD players read them as Audio CD.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; March 28th, 2007 at 00:56 AM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    DOesnt it also depend on the compatibility of your DVD player... it might be only DVD-R

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Nah the thing is just last week i burned 15 DVD's using the same exact media from the same 50 pack of DVD+R's and they work perfectly.I tryed to burn once again last night just in case i might have ran into a bad batch of blank DVD's with the same result.Burn seems to go fine,gets completed and finalised but when trying to play it on both PC,my DVD player and a friends DVD player it either doesnt read or counts as an audio CD with a loud static noise playing.So im assuming the burner is going bad.

Sorry for the double post but rather then make a new topic i thought this was easier.Im about to grab 2 new DVD-RW drives and this one caught my eye.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135148

Lots of good reviews for the Retail version of this drive at newegg so was wondering if anyone here has expierience with them.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; March 31st, 2007 at 19:36 PM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    That seems like a good price for DVD drive.

Here's a CDfreaks thread on that drive.

WOW, that looks like a really fast drive! Is there media that can be burnt that quick?

Purchasing is probably going to be easier for your solution, that trying to determine if your old drive is dead.

FYI, i think there are some test burn iso's, that then you can verify to check the laser accuracy.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thanks FG and Cash,
    Yeah it is a far easier solution and since DVD burners are so cheap these days it's well worth it.I dont know if theres media at those speeds but i rarely burn over 8X anyway because it seems to be the best speed for most media.I have burned a few at 16X on my old drive but i found i got more errors and problems with that speed because the burner could not write to the media properly.I'll have to look into those test burns

No probs buddy, i see more and more people are recommending slower burn speeds, due to errors and jittering etc. Plus, it sort of makes sense to burn slower, so its more accurate or deeper? not sure.. but plausible

I think CloneCD (old versions) had the test images.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---