Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Deleted Items folder files disappear

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4

    Deleted Items folder files disappear

    My Deleted Items folder only holds files for two days! Any deleted emails older than two days just simply disappear! This never happened until I changed ISP providers a couple months ago. I switched to MSN Premium and since then I've had this problem. MSN Techs say they have nothing to do with OE and don't know why this problem occurs. Anyone have any ideas?

    gwoodall

  2. #2
    She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,702
    Try poking around in the tools/options menu. Maybe something got changed vis a vis the deleted items properties.

    Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

  3. #3
    Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Watching Your every move...
    Posts
    4,638
    I know that Hotmail empties their deleted email folder a couple of times a week. I assume that MSN is the same way. My best guess is that they empty their "deleted items" then you connect and attempt to get new emails it will sync up your folders to theirs and voila! Those emails are now gone.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by piaqt View Post
    Try poking around in the tools/options menu. Maybe something got changed vis a vis the deleted items properties.
    Thanks, but I have done that already, no changes that would affect the Deleted Items folder.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    I know that Hotmail empties their deleted email folder a couple of times a week. I assume that MSN is the same way. My best guess is that they empty their "deleted items" then you connect and attempt to get new emails it will sync up your folders to theirs and voila! Those emails are now gone.
    Thanks for the reply. I contacted MSN and they say they have no idea why this is happening, that their server has nothing to do with OE. So, I'm still in the dark. If your guess is correct, how do I turn OFF the folders sync feature?

  6. #6
    Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Watching Your every move...
    Posts
    4,638
    Quote Originally Posted by gwoodall View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I contacted MSN and they say they have no idea why this is happening, that their server has nothing to do with OE. So, I'm still in the dark. If your guess is correct, how do I turn OFF the folders sync feature?
    Well, I don't know if you can turn that feature off but I will keep looking...and forgive my ignorance but, Why would you want to? It's called the "Deleted Items" folder because these are the things you don't want, so you delete them. It isn't an archive or a review folder.

    Again, I apologize if this sounds rude for that is not my intention. But if You delete things they should go away. If you want to save them for review either leave them in the Inbox or create another folder in OE to store them in until you decide if they are needed or not.


    BTW, Welcome to Techzonez gwoodall. Stick around and grab some coffee.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    Well, I don't know if you can turn that feature off but I will keep looking...and forgive my ignorance but, Why would you want to? It's called the "Deleted Items" folder because these are the things you don't want, so you delete them. It isn't an archive or a review folder.

    Again, I apologize if this sounds rude for that is not my intention. But if You delete things they should go away. If you want to save them for review either leave them in the Inbox or create another folder in OE to store them in until you decide if they are needed or not.


    BTW, Welcome to Techzonez gwoodall. Stick around and grab some coffee.
    Thanks rik - and I would appreciate your continuing research on this problem. Since this problem started, I have created a Stored Items folder, but I just can't figure out why the Deleted Items disappear in the first place, since this never happened before! Thanks again!

    gwoodall

  8. #8
    She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,702
    Welcome to the strange and wonderful universe known as MSN mail.

    Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

  9. #9
    Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    England
    Posts
    14,045
    2 possible scenarios:

    1. You may have a virus. Have you run a scan?

    2. Antivirus software can sometimes delete the contents of the folder. Disable email scanning (incoming) for a few days.

    NOTE: You will still be protected by your antivirus auto protect feature with email scanning disabled.

    =========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

  10. #10
    Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Software Paradise
    Posts
    3,735
    i still think Pia's idea stands
    Try poking around in the tools/options menu. Maybe something got changed vis a vis the deleted items properties.
    outlook has this setting to archive or delete any emails older than a couple of days!

    --- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

  11. #11
    Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    DE - USA
    Posts
    2,366
    OE can empty the deleted items folder on exit (this setting is in options>Maintenance)
    MSN and Hotmail are http, so the deleted items folder goes acording to their policy (all email is in their server, you just have a copy in OE) and you cannot turn it off.
    Hotmail policy for example is to delete a couple of times a week (and you cannot change that) as well as delete the junk email forder once a week (you can change that to delete inmediately )
    the deleted items folder is there basically in case you need to recover something almost inmediately. If you would like to keep a copy of the folder for whatever reason, try doing a archive of the email and set to archive items older than 1 day (on Outlook, and not in OE) with OE pretty much you can only do a copy.
    Unless someone else has a different solution. In my case I have barely used deleted items. just a couple of times that I deleted an email by mistake

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •