Thread: Windows-delayed Write Failed

Unhappy Windows-delayed Write Failed

I am recieving this message "WINDOWS-DELAYED WRITE FAILED" when I'm using my 40GB External Hard drive connected with USB Port.. and the transfer of files getting slower and slower, sometimes it is automatically unplug and it returns again....
    I try my External HD to other computer with the same operating system (Windows XP Sp2) and it's working properly.I already re-format my computer co'z I though it will solve my problem but still after installing and setting-up my computer the problem still there.

I am using Athlon XP2100+, w/ 1GBRam and 256MB Video CArd.

tnx in advance for the inputs
    Eat Safe to Ride Safe

Im not sure at all on this problem but the first thing that comes to mind are improperly installed USB drivers and/or bad USB port.Have you trying using alternative ports?Also what about your USB cable have you checked for wear or damage.

I have seen the issue with it detecting devices disconnected/reconnected in my case it was my USB cable was becoming worn it seemed like it had a short and the plug no longer fit snug in the USB port so it moved around alot causing the problem.Dunno if thats any help but first things i would check.Good luck

thx for replying sir..
    i already change my USB cable and the USB port in my PC is working, i have USB printer connected and it's working fine.

here is some same post issue,I tried some of the tips but the problem still there.

These solutions were e-mailed to me:
    I was getting the error message: “Delayed Write Failed” “Windows was unable to save all the data…” etc.
    I solved this problem by going into Start – Programs – Administrative Tools - Computer Management – Storage - Disk Management.
    [I found the same program via Start- Settings - Control Panel - Admin Tools. etc.]
    In the upper part of the Computer Management window, right click on each of your hard drives in turn and select “Change drive letter and path”. Select Edit, [don't actually change anything] and then click OK in the “Edit Drive Letter or Path” window.
    Next, go to the lower portion of the Computer Management window, right click on the gray box for each of your peripheral drives (CD Rom, Zip drive, etc.), and repeat the procedure. Close all the windows and the problem should by fixed. You may have to reboot - I don’t remember if I had to reboot or not.
    [I re-booted just to be sure - got the message once more as I re-booted then bingo! Gone - I hope!]
    Geoff
    Your note about the delayed write failure on Windows XP is not complete. I also have a Maxtor 60GB hard disk which had the same problem on Windows XP. The IDE card that the disk was plugged into had configured the device as a UDMA Mode 6 device but either the device or the cable wasn't capable of this speed. Switching the device to UDMA Mode 5 solved the delayed write failure message and my machine is now far more stable.
    Martin

http://bermangraphics.com/problems/d...itefailure.htm
    Last edited by georgejr05; April 17th, 2007 at 23:31 PM.
    Eat Safe to Ride Safe

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I have the same issue with a couple of my external HDs as well.

You can try those methods in your email as it seems related. I've noticed the problem due to cable / port and also depends on which order you turn on the HD first then plug into USB, or vica versa...

My problem seems to be a connection / data throughput problem... If i jiggle* the cable around the USB port on the HD, it will drop the connection, give error, then Windows said "Dont disconnect blah blah"

I would try a new External Case, and get some good quality cables.. not worn out plugs

Now... if you have done this for some time, you will be heading into USB driver issues.

check out http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/200...indows-xp.html

once configured, scroll down system devices, then delete any unknown USB devices or Mass Storage Devices. This will force new drivers to be initiated, hopefully clearing your problems.

Let us know how you go.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

the problem still here..tnx for all of your effort. i did all you suggested but still it did not resolve the problem.
    Any inputs there guys?
    Eat Safe to Ride Safe

I guess we need to try to narrow down if it is a hardware issue or software.

For hardware, You can try removing the HD from the external case, and plugging directly into computer. to check if HD is fine.

Then plug another HD, perhaps smaller than 127gb into external case, and see if it works.

Next, you can remove the external case.. and just the HD plugged into the IDE cables and power etc... my external case sometimes shortcircuits the chips inside, and even squeezes the actual harddrive so it can't spin!!

If the case and hd work fine, then try pluggin into another computer. I get errors on mine, but if i plug into another laptop, then it works no probs?!

good luck.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

@sir cash_site
    my external drive is working good when it is connected to other pc or laptop...i think the problem is in my station (pc)...either the hardware or software..still the problem is here..but when i use a flsh drive and usb printer or scanner it works fine.
    Eat Safe to Ride Safe

What type of motherboard do you have? Does it support USB 2.0 ? Are there updates to the USB Controllers? You might check the firmware for your BIOS on motherboard...

Can you try inserting a PCI USB 2.0 card, the onboard ports might not be getting enough constant power, or bandwidth? I.e. are you sharing the ports with other devices.. ADSL modems, Mouse/ Keyboard... etc etc

Also, try getting an external powered USB Hub. It's always on, and therefore windows doesnt really control it (like wake from sleep mode etc)

goodluck

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

hello guys.....it is now working I dont know what happen.. i try it again last week in my surprise it was working good...ive been using it again for almost a week there is no problem until now..i really dont know what happen.but what ever happens, it is good now that is working...tnx for your support guys.
    Eat Safe to Ride Safe