Thread: Strange XP problem

Strange XP problem

Hey guys,
    I encountered a very weird issue with XP pro SP2 tonight and i have to admit im stuck.Heres the thing a friend of mine got a new Compaq Presario sr2150nx which came pre installed with Windows Vista Home Basic.They did not like it and asked me to install XP Pro on the the PC.After installing XP all went well and i installed the various drivers for onboard sound,graphics,and a pre installed 56k modem (still havent figured out why a new PC would have that lol) i then began installing basic software such as printer software (lexmark 6200) and webcam software (logitech quickcam).After all of this i began noticing when the PC reboots it takes quite a while to load at the windows XP load screen when it did not do this before.

I checked out the Event viewer and found one entry which seems to keep occuring that i think is causing the problem.details are as follows

Warning "Source- Userenv","Event- 1517","User- SYSTEM"
    "Windows saved user registry while an application or service was still saving using the registry during log off."

This happens upon every shut down and i have no idea what started to cause it.If anyone has any idea's i'd love to hear them.Thanks

System Specs in case you need them
    Compaq Presario sr2150nx
    XP pro SP2 with latest windows updates
    Intel Celeron D 3.33Ghz
    512 PC4200 DDR2
    120GB HDD SATA
    100GB slave HDD IDE
    ATI Radeon express 1100 intergrated
    Realtek Audio intergrated
    PCI SATA expansion card for use with external SATA HDD
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; April 27th, 2007 at 16:06 PM.

Do a HDD defrag. Reboot and see if the problem goes away. If not open "Task Manager" to see what is running. Start with the program that you think may be causing the problem and use the "End Process" button to close the program and then shut down the computer. Do this untill you find the offending source.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    and a pre installed 56k modem (still havent figured out why a new PC would have that lol)
    Because millions of people around the world still have dial-up

Anyhoo you need This

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame View Post
    Because millions of people around the world still have dial-up

Lol Thats true about the 56k but these days i rarely see many PC's with floppy drives or 56k's

And onto the issue.I installed the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service but it seems to have had no effect.im gonna try a defrag next and check the list of tasks running but it's strange because i did check yesterday and everything seemed normal having only the normal system tasks,and few programs i did install such as Avast,Logitech and lexmark software and thats about it so far.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; April 26th, 2007 at 17:58 PM.

"This issue may occur if Microsoft Windows or third-party programs such as printer drivers or virus scanners do not stop and release resources when you log off your computer"

Try unloading Avast and see what happens.

BHX, If you find the offending puppy, please post it. I have gotten this error too. I'm running Adaware, Spybot, and Spysweeper. They don't seem to be the the culprits though. DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

hey guys,well i tryed the suggestions and found out something and this still is puzzling me.Stopping avast from running does clear the warning in the event logs however upon restart of the system the problem still occurs.I dont know whats causing it and it's not a major issue more of an annoyance but heres what happens.

The PC boots goes past bio's and such.When it gets to the windows XP pro loading screen the screen appears but it is dimmed and stays this way for about 30-40 seconds (might be slightly longer as i havent accuratly timed it) after this the screen goes to full brightness and the loading bar (the animated one starts to move) when it is in the dimmed state the loading bar doesnt move.Then afterwards the Pc finally starts.When Vista was installed this didnt happen and only began with XP so im quite confused on what could be causing it.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Try disabling certain features within the AV to see if that helps. Although at that point I believe it's detecting hardware and loading drivers...

@rik yes im pretty sure it is detecting drivers and such but the thing that makes it starnge is it takes longer on this PC then any other PC i have seen.Before my friend got this new PC they had a Dell with a 1.4GHz Celeron and 512 PC133 and even that older system didnt take so long to boot.Im gonna try removing some drivers to see if i can pinpoint what causes it.