Thread: Can't boot up...HELP!!!!!

Can't boot up...HELP!!!!!

I screwed up. Was attempting to reload some software but went into Sony Recovery Kit (in error) but then had a power outage. Now all I get when I boot up is a black screen with "For loading operating system" showing. Unable to get to Safe Mode let alone anything. Tried loading my Rescue Disks but still nothing. Will I have to do a complete Recovery and lose everything?????????? HELP PLEASE

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Unfortunately that does sound like the case. In the unlikely circumstance that a power outage might occur, it can cause issues like this. You may have to perform a full reload from the Rescue Disks.

Easy to be the "Monday Morning Quarterback" I know but...The need for a backup is very obvious.

Please let us know the outcome, and Best of Luck.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Sure sounds like you need to get your data and reinstall

Borrow an XP CD (same version as yours, Home or Pro) and try XP repair.

You could pull the HD and put it in another PC then pull your personal data off, then reinstall.

Or

Download PE Builder and make a BartPE recovery CD to get your data.

Like rik said, lets us know what you decide and we'll keep trying to help.

Tried F2.."Load Setup Defaults"...no change; Tried F8 but only provides me "Select Boot Device"...does not show "Safe Mode". Tried XP CD but it doesn't recognize it (black screen); Loaded copy of XP Quick.exe (Bootdisk.com/Boot.ini/ntldr/ntdetect) but it tells me "Windows could not start because file is missing or corrupt WINDOWS ROOT>\SYSTEM32\HAL.DLL ..REINSTALL A COPY OF THE ABOVE FILE. The software mgr. indicates to ignore this message and to load a boot.ini file to my C drive....but HOW?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I would try and do a repair install like fastgame suggested.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    The info found here may also be of help. "Repairing Windows XP in Eight Commands"

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Try a liveCD from PCLinux OS... you might be able to back up all your data on and External USB harddrive... then when you're ok, then just reformat with the rescue disks

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Appreciate all the suggestions but no luck. I'm somewhat handicaped since my old computer will not burn CD's. Anyway, I've given up....have taken the pc to a professional outfit to have them try. Thanks again to all.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Well good luck wellgo... i'm sure you could ask the IT shop for a report of problems, and a quote for the different items. Then post it here for some info

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---