Thread: Creating a .CHM file

Creating a .CHM file

Hello every one,
    I am trying to find a good application to allow me to create a .CHM file. I would like to find one where I can type in the text with out having to deal with a messy upload from a .DOC or TXT file. Any one knows of a good program where I can create these types of file and also allow for images to be added into the contents. Iím just trying to fond one that is very user friendly so I can produce a trouble shooting guide at work. Any assistance in location such an application would be greatly appreciated, and cheaper the application the better (if not a freeware)

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Always the bane of software, is writing the helpfiles...lol

There arent many free CHM editors... but a few have trial periods which might be ok if you only want them for a few weeks.

We bought a few licenses of Help Manual, pretty good wysiwyg editor, and can be exported into CHM, PDF and others

Is the requirement CHM, or can it be other text/linked based?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site View Post
    Always the bane of software, is writing the helpfiles...lol

There arent many free CHM editors... but a few have trial periods which might be ok if you only want them for a few weeks.

We bought a few licenses of Help Manual, pretty good wysiwyg editor, and can be exported into CHM, PDF and others

Is the requirement CHM, or can it be other text/linked based?
    I can use text and links but Iím not allowed to use HTML. I have to make this file so that it is self contained with limited network usage. I know this donít make much scene but thatís the guide lines I have been giver for it. So Iím looking for a way to add in content and links with in its self like a table of contents. I also asked if a PDF file would be acceptable but they seem be determine to have a CHM file. All that I need to have the file do is create a trouble shooting reference guide for new people on the team, containing known problems and solutions and so on.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by piaqt View Post
    Good find Piaqt!

Here are some additional instructions/walk throughs to try and get you started.

Else, i think you might need to get a trial version of some other 3rd party app.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    It's an oldie but goodie. I use it to decompile bloated chm files, remove the crap I don't need, and recompile them. Makes searches faster.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt