Thread: DVD writer

Bronze Member

DVD writer

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a dvd writer and have noticed that the external ones are a lot more expensive than internal ones. Is that because they are better or is it because it's a hassle to install the internal ones.

Can anyone recommend a good make please?

Thanks

LouBee

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I recently bought a LiteOn DVD Writer LH-20A1H:

http://www.liteonit.com/global/index...=186&Itemid=67

Works good though I haven't had a chance to try out the Lightscribe feature yet. I think it's better to get a SATA model cause the latest motherboards hardly have any IDE connections anymore.

I recently got 2 Asus DVD dual layer-DRW-1814BL with lightscribe great price and has been working perfectly so far.

For your questions internal drives are very easy to install simply put it in one of your empty drive bays or the drive bay where the original CD-rom was located if you decide to remove it.From there it's a matter of 4 screws and two connections your IDE or SATA cable depending on your system and the power cable.

I think externals are more expensive because quite simply they cost more to manufacture most must use an alternate power supply or USB/SATA connection and obviously your also paying for the external enclosure.So if you have a desktop with room to install internal i'd go with that it's cheaper in the end and works just as good.

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant View Post

For your questions internal drives are very easy to install simply put it in one of your empty drive bays or the drive bay where the original CD-rom was located if you decide to remove it.From there it's a matter of 4 screws and two connections your IDE or SATA cable depending on your system and the power cable.
    Yeah, but if you read my other threads, it might be more complex than that for someone as simple as me .

Thanks.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Bhxtyrant has the right answer!

Any luck with the lightscribe features? does this print or burn on the top of the CD/DVD?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Hey Cash,
    Im assuming your post reguarding lightscribe is at me so thought i would reply.So far i haven't actually even used lightscribe but i plan to in the future.From my understanding and what i have read i believe it actually burns an image into the top of the disc but i've also read you need special media which supports lightscribe to use it which is why i havent tested it yet.Also from reviews i heard when you use lightscribe to produce a label it's very light so alot of users simply think it's a waste of time.I cant say if all is true until i try it myself though.

Cool thanks Bhx, i wonder if it might just be better to get the media with the white surface, then inkjet print labels on

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Silver Member
    I have used lightscribe at work. My boss has a dell with a lightscribe dvd burner. In order to use lightscribe you need the special cd's that allow you to scribe on the top. The cd's tops are a beige color. The image is burnt into the top of the cd so there is no smearing or anything. I think I used a nero product to use the lightscribe feature but I can't remember. Also, there are three different settings, just like a printer, poor, good and best. And just as a printer it takes more time on each setting. Poor is very readable, light yes but still very readable. As you move up in the settings the quality does get better and so does the darkness of the print. On best quality it takes about 15-20 mins to do one cd. I think poor was around 10ish. All-in-all lightscribe, I think, is very neat and fun to work with. You can do the same things as printing, make boxes with text, add images, all sorts of things. The times I gave were with two boxes with text on the top and the company logo on the bottom of the cd, but nothing on the two sides. Although the boxes were curved and wrapping around the whole in the center, there were still "printed" very well and did not look like crap. If anyone else is still curious or needs/wants to know anymore just say so as I'm always here.

Do you have any photos of the final 'scribed' discs... would be interesting to see

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Indeed After seeing your post i decided to search and here is what i found.

http://pics.computerbase.de/9/6/7/6/1_m.jpg
    http://regmedia.co.uk/2006/10/23/hpdvd940i_1.png

Looks pretty good if you ask me,just a shame it takes such a long time to burn an image lol sounds like it takes just as long to "scribe" a disc as it does to actually burn one.But i guess you cant complain im sure as technology advances the process will begin to become faster.

WOW, that does look amazing.. i wonder if we can download those family pics? But, I think if people become more aware, they might actually start using this great feature...

The biggest competition is the ink-jet printed labels... although i have heard issues with unbalanced CD shattering due to thick labels!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I havent had any issue with the normal labels except over time if the disc is subject to a decent ammount of heat the label can become unstuch i almost had one jam in my CD player one time and since have stopped using them.