Thread: Converting avi files to dvds

Bronze Member

Converting avi files to dvds

Hi there

My friends have copied/compressed a load of films on avi files, so I have to watch them on my pc, which I find tedious. Is there anyway I can convert them back to dvds so I can watch them on the dvd/tv please.

Also what's the best programme to copy dvds please... or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks.

Lou
    Last edited by LouBee; May 14th, 2007 at 21:41 PM.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    I use WinAVI for conversions.

WinAVI Video Converter is software for video conversion. By using our product, users are released from the limitations and difficulties of video formats. It can support almost all formats of video including AVI, MPEG1/2/4, VCD/SVCD/DVD, DivX, XVid, ASF, WMV, RM, QuickTime MOV, Flash SWF. Also, it allows you to burn to VCD/SVCD/DVD. A powerful AV compress engine can complete a whole AVI movie conversion and burn it to DVD just in 1 hour. You can enjoy the film with your home & PC DVD Player.

AVI to DVD
    AVI to MPEG
    AVI to VCD
    AVI to MPG
    Flash SWF conversion
    It can convert all formats to MPEG1/2, VCD, SVCD, and DVD and burn to VCD, SVCD, or DVD disc.
    It can convert all video formats to AVI/WMV/RM/ASF/Divx/Xvid
    QuickTime MOV conversion.
    Real DVD Navigator encoder included.
    DirectAC3 technology supports AC3 5.1, which is state of the art technology. It is up to 20% faster with AVI files including AC3 audio.
    Real Dolby AC3 audio encoder included.
    Burning VCD/SVCD/DVD.
    Stunning video and audio quality.
    User-friendly interface that is easy to use.
    Has the option to preview the video in real-time.
    Has the option to automatically shutdown your computer when the conversion has been completed.

http://www.winavi.com/en/video-conve...-converter.htm

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

I use a few various programs for this.

One is WinAVI which is very good for file converions you can even convert to .vob DVD format which is nice.

Then of course there is Nero Vision which is a step better because you can make scene selection menu's and such.

The newest one i use is called DVDLab which is the most complex allowing you to fully author a DVD complete with menu's,transitions,subtitles pretty much everything you see on an original DVD.

For copying a DVD i would go with Nero.

Bronze Member

Thanks

Thanks guys...

Someone at work told me that converting from avi to dvd might mean that I lose the sound. Is this true or is this boll**s

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Depending on the program, yes you could loose the sound, as you need to extract the audio component from the avi, then encode to mpeg2-style audio, then remux on the audio.vob section of the DVD.

But i think most of the newer apps do all of this automatically for you.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

There is a much better way to do video conversion that doesn't cost money, its a program called Super(c), ya can find it at http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
    It will convert to most popular formats, but one of its great features is that it can convert most xvid/avi ac3 sound to vob ac3, so you don't loose quality and get to keep surround sound. Image quality is right on the dot, if not almost perfect.

Converting any other way will just lead to disappointment as ya probably already have found out.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    or you can do what I do and just setup your TV as a 2nd monitor and watch it on the TV from your pc without any conversion at all.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    or you can do what I do and just setup your TV as a 2nd monitor and watch it on the TV from your pc without any conversion at all.
    Hehe... true dat!

I stream it to my xbox with media center

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I use VSO's ConvertXtoDVD, It's a good program. Hasn't failed me yet.

ill be back soon,
    just watching some paint dry.