Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Display properties in XP

I am downloading 40.41 as I write this. With the 30.82 update I have a nView Desktop Manager. I can, of course, change a theme. (If I wanted to. I prefer the classic windows.) I can change wallpapers with nView. I don't care about screensavers as I don't use them. I have the monitor go blank. Sometimes I will change colors on the desktop but I can't get to Appearance, I think it is. I know there's supposed to be another folder in Windows Display Properties, but I can't think of what it is. I do like the nView options being available per each open window.
    Again guys, thanks for the help.
    BTW my monitor and my graphics card in hardware are correct.

Jim

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Jim,
    One last thing. YOu need to go to start, run, and type regedit

Now once you do you need to navigate to this folder:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

(MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE RIGHT FOLDER.
    Once there check to see if any of the keys mentioned below are in the SYSTEM folder.

If you see any of the keys below: NoDispCPL, NoDispBackgroundPage, NoDispScrSavPage, NoDispAppearancePage, or NoDispSettingsPage then DELETE THEM, or change their values from 1 to 0.

This key exists only if you have set an option whose flag is stored in the key. (Each value's description begins with the text related to that option on the Local User Properties property sheet.) A value set to 0x00000001. disables access. Deleting a value or setting its data to 0 enables access.

Values Restricting Access to Display Properties

NoDispCPL - Disable Display Control Panel. If the value is set to 1, the Display Properties property sheet is not accessible.

NoDispBackgroundPage - Hide Background Page. If the value is set to 1, the Background property page on the Display Properties property sheet is hidden.

NoDispScrSavPage - Hide Screen Saver Page. If the value is set to 1, the Screen Saver property page on the Display Properties property sheet is hidden.

NoDispAppearancePage - Hide Appearance Page. If the value is set to 1, the Appearance property page on the Display Properties property sheet is hidden.

NoDispSettingsPage - Hide Settings Page. If the value is set to 1, the Settings property page on the Display Properties property sheet is hidden.

That is the only other way I can think of that these settings and tabs would be missing.

Hope it helps,
    BB

Downloaded and installed 40.41. Still don't have display properties in windows. I guess I'll try to contact tech help for nvidia. One thing is, I am working on HomeXP rather than Pro if that makes a difference. Thanks again for all the help from everyone.

Jim

Almost forgot. My regedit has none of those entries.