Thread: new isp and i cant use voice com on messenger

new isp and i cant use voice com on messenger

i have just changed isp`s and before i could use voice com on messenger and my web cam but now they wont connect,
    now is their any xp settings to fix this or do you think it might be the isp
    also i have two other voice coms and only 1 of them works now but the both worked before , now is this a port thing or is there a setting in windows that might enable this , please help as this is very frustrating thanks
    oh btw im using xp home edition
    Last edited by kempouk; September 21st, 2002 at 00:54 AM.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hi:

just a couple of questions

were you on dial-up? then/now
    do you go through a proxy?

you new isp settings may conflict with the old one but i'm not sure without more info on the subject

does anyone here use messanger and might shed some light here?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar

Re: new isp and i cant use voice com on messenger

Originally posted by kempouk
    i have just changed isp`s and before i could use voice com on messenger and my web cam but now they wont connect,
    now is their any xp settings to fix this or do you think it might be the isp
    also i have two other voice coms and only 1 of them works now but the both worked before , now is this a port thing or is there a setting in windows that might enable this , please help as this is very frustrating thanks
    oh btw im using xp home edition
    You seem to be listed as living in the UK.

Broadband has only really just launched Broadband by the massives into the market place, and cut backs have been used to get the product out faster until they have enough money to start actually perfecting the service, greedy bastards.

If you have just upgraded to Broadband, you might have just picked an ISP, such as HomeChoice or Pipex that have a built in hardware firewall (NAT)

NAT is a cheap way of saving companies money by not having to buy so many IP's and allowing up to 10 user's to share the same one.

Only problem is, NAT isn't supported by many many products/programs/software/games, ESPECIALLY Microsoft related software!

Microsoft are the WORST at NAT support, their Messenger has lacked it since day one, along with many of their games, i can not voice chat, i can not use whiteboard, i can't do any special features, all i can do is type text and send

So if you're behind a NAT, you're in for alot of trouble.

Let's hope that's not the case!
    Last edited by GimieGimieGimie; September 21st, 2002 at 20:20 PM.