Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Display properties in XP

Display properties in XP

Where is the old properties for display in XP? When I right click on the desktop or go to display thru control panel, the only box I get is to change the theme. The folders to change screensavers, colors, etc. aren't there.

Jim

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hello jim:

you should right click an empty part of the desktop
    select properties

you will get the display properties display choose from the menu's at the top to change settings

i have a picture with the info

if this is not what you have
    please let us know

egghead
    Last edited by egghead; September 20th, 2002 at 15:12 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Jim, have a look at THIS article at Microsoft Knowledge Base.

thanks xsivforce

after reading his post i figured they must be missing

i thought it's driver related

Quote from link:
    Resolution
    To resolve this issue, contact your video hardware manufacturer for drivers that are compatible with Windows XP and that provide OpenGL support.

nice to see you

cheers
    egghead

Thanks for the information. So far, I'm stuck. My monitor is a Digiview 70+. The homepage is Digiview.com. It seems to be one of those places you can't get to from here. (can't find server message) I'll keep trying tho.

The thing is, when I first got the computer on Sep 9. It worked. I have a faulty floppy disk drive. When I called tech line at Cyberpowerpc he had me reinstall. I also have dl'd SP1. I don't really remember at what point the display features quit working.

Thanks again
    Jim

what video card do you have?

thats the drivers you need

if the video is on the motherboard than goto the motherboards website and download the drivers

if its an agp video card
    you have to get the model and goto there webbsite to get the drivers

that should fix your missing menu's

let us know what happened

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Jim,what Video card do you have?
    Look under "Display Adapters" in device manager.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Take all above advice as it is sound. One other thing and I may be fishing here. I know this may sound odd but right click where the tabs should be. Go ahead, just humor me.

First of all, to XSIVFORCE, you've been humored. It didn't work but I did try it. Rev, the video card on this machine is the NVIDIA Geforce2 MX/MX 400. I did try to update driver, but Windows says the one there is the best. Having this computer just over 10 days, I have CDs, disks, papers and all kinds of other crap lying around on the desk so there may be something here to help. (If I can find it.) Now where did I put that sledge hammer?

Jim

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    DOWNLOAD THE 30.82 (40.41 is a BETA) NVIDIA DRIVER

Those are the latest certified drivers for Nvidia based graphics cards.

You should just run the installer, let it go through the motions. If it gives you a certification error, just click continue.. don't click stop.

Once that is completed. Restart your computer and the check your display properties.

BB

Thanks for the link, BB. On the advice of (D. All of the above.) I went to nvidia.com but neither the primary nor either of the mirrors would work for me. I am downloading the driver now from Voodoofiles.com. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.
    Jim

OK I'm now trying the download from BB's link. The download from Voodoofiles upgraded the driver to 3.0.8.2 but I still don't have the display properties other than Themes. Nvidia gives a lot of things you can do with the new driver, but you first go to properties/settings/advanced. Since I can't get to settings it don't do me a whole lot of good.

Jim

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Jim,
    More than likely it's the same driver, the one from voodoo and the one I listed.

FIRST, Get the 40.41 driver below:
    http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/4...0.41_winxp.exe

We will use it later in the process.

Now what I am suggesting you to do is this:
    1st, uninstall any driver you have installed, in fact just uninstall your graphics card.
    To do this,
    Click start, the RIGHT click MY COMPUTER, select properties, then Hardware, then device manager, then select the display adapter (click the plus to drop down the device), once you have it on the screen, right CLICK it, the click uninstall. Now it will go through and uninstall any drivers you have previously installed and remove the display adapter.

Now it will restart. CLICK yes, and restart.

Once restarted it will install the XP default drivers, you don't want them so you are going to manually install them. YOur screen will look like crap, so don't worry about that.

TIME FOR THE 40.41 driver. Now run it, let it create the NVIDIA folder in C: drive or wherever you want to install it.

Run through the process and it should install. Choose the default settings for now. Let it do it.
    It will ask you how you want to setup Nview, if you have TV out.. it's self-explanatory from there on.
    Now right click the desktop, properties, and then see if your tabs and display settings are available.

Let us know how you get on.

IF you do have TV out and you have nview, you can get into the display properties another way.

click start, control panel, NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager, then click the INFO tab, then click display settings (screenshot attached below)
    THE ABOVE ONLY WORKS IF YOU HAVE TV OUT AND NVIEW INSTALLED.

It sounds complicated but it's not. Take your time work it out and I am sure you'll get it fixed. I will help you as long as it takes and I am sure the rest will too.
    BB

Another thought, check to make sure your monitor is the correct one as listed in DM...
    Last edited by Tinker; February 21st, 2009 at 11:56 AM.

nice bubbles tinker :-)