Thread: Vista User Experience

Vista User Experience

Feedback I get from Vista users

Positive = 0%
    Negative = 100%

Most hated thing - User Account Control especially in a Domain.

Most annoying thing - there is nothing in it worth the money, a decent XP machine crawls with vista and what do you get to justify it - 0.

So I ask - is there anything in it that it's worth 'upgrading' to get?
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    My "Vista User Experience" is 0

XP is stable and does everything I ask, I never have a problem with it.

but

I need to know Vista so I can work on it....../....../

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

Thumbs down

I have to agree with rik and fastgame. I need to learn how vista works so I can support it, when and if my organization switches to it. I really don’t feel like it is worth the money. Here is an article I found that details the top 10 hated thing about this operating system and for what I have personal experience from people how has use Vista agree with this top ten:

1. You're gonna need a scorecard. Specifically, the one here to figure out which version of Vista you actually want to upgrade to, or to look for in your next PC. There will be four retail versions of the OS (Home Basic, Business, Home Premium, and Ultimate), on top of the Enterprise edition and a handful of overseas versions. Never mind the upgrade—just figuring out which version you want is a project in and of itself.

2. Pricing of Vista Premium and Ultimate. It's all well and good if you'll get Vista preinstalled on your next PC. But the enthusiasts who are likely to go the Vista-upgrade route are going to have to fork over big—and certainly won't be satisfied with the Aero-less low-end version of Vista (Home Basic), which is already steep at $199 for the full version. A full version of Home Premium, the least costly Aero-enabled Vista, is $239, and the top-end version, Ultimate, costs $399—yikes, nearly the cost of a budget PC!

3. User Account Control popups. Okay, UAC has topped everyone's early lists of Vista annoyances. Indeed, it acts like an overzealous St. Bernard at times, well-meaningly interrupting basic system tasks with its warnings and offers of aid, but without the upside of the cask of brandy. Experienced users can turn off these warnings, and you'll see fewer of them as time goes on and you authorize certain tasks. But early on, the blizzard of popups can approach whiteout conditions.

4. Graphics-hardware requirements. Much of the buzz around Vista is around the superslick Aero user interface, but a lot of hopeful upgraders are going to see the seriously dark side of the terms "integrated graphics" and "no graphics-card slot." With Microsoft's call for a dedicated graphics card with 128MB of memory, great swaths of budget-PC owners are not going to be able to use Aero without prohibitively complex and expensive hardware overhauls that could cut as deep as the motherboard. Visit this page for the gory details.

5. Byzantine install stipulations from earlier Windows versions. One look at the mind-boggling chart at Microsoft's Get Ready site should be enough to make you throw up your hands.

6. Hey! Where'd Display Properties go? Right-clicking the Windows Desktop to access the much-trafficked Display Properties dialog had become as natural a movement as a tennis swing or a conductor's flourish. Now, the same action reveals that DP has been replaced by the spuriously named "Personalize" right-click option. Granted, the display settings are there (just a second layer deep in the following dialog...grrrrrr), but this shook up our world.

7. Gimme more Gadgets. Reserve a full quarter or third of our precious Windows Desktop for Vista Gadgets, then provide barely a dozen with the OS? Bring them on!

8. ReadyBoost: big tease? You'll also notice ReadyBoost on our list of Top 10 Likes. But it's plagued by one big gotcha: Not all USB keys will work with it. You'll need a key of at least 256MB capacity, and with adequate throughput. See this blog entry from Microsoft's Tom Archer for a detailed Q&A discussion of the fine points of ReadyBoost compatibility. That handful of old, low-capacity USB keys tossed in your desk drawer that you thought you finally found a use for? Well, they may just have to stay there.

9. Please—just let me shut down! Why is the Shut Down command hiding in a submenu of the Start menu, branching off from a too-small right-facing arrow that takes jet-pilot reflexes to nail on the first mouse pass? And why do we keep clicking that big red power-looking button next to it to shut down, and keep triggering Sleep mode? We will get this straight soon—really, we will. But this area of the Start menu is eventually going to be hexed by the muted swear words of a million mildly annoyed Windows users.

10. Inkball and Chess Titans. Yeah, thanks Microsoft. We would have settled for grizzled old Solitaire and Minesweeper in the default Windows Games folder when our idle hands needed ready entertainment between spreadsheets and e-mails. But these two serial time-killers—Inkball with its addictive Breakout-esque gameplay, and Titans with its exceptionally slick look and chess smarts—are going to be death of many a deadline.

Read more at this URL http://computershopper.com/feature/t...vista_dislikes

Quote Originally Posted by Curio View Post
    Feedback I get from Vista users

Positive = 0%
    Negative = 100%

Most hated thing - User Account Control especially in a Domain.

Most annoying thing - there is nothing in it worth the money, a decent XP machine crawls with vista and what do you get to justify it - 0.

So I ask - is there anything in it that it's worth 'upgrading' to get?

I have not try to run and test Vista in a Domain environment, what is the problem you experienced with User account control’s within a domain?

In a domain you have to turn UAC off via Group Policy, the individual reg keys on the machine don't do it. Even if you make the user admin on their own box they still get UAC asking for admin rights from the domain admin. If an installation isn't for an MS product you get UAC still, like firefox won't install but MSNLiveMessenger will.

sucks.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Angry

I'm upset with Vista!!!!!!! Unlike you guys, I just need it to work for simple stuff. I can't get anything to work. My printer keeps sending me errors although I went and downloaded the "special" vista driver. I have a Samsung ML1610. It is interesting to note it worked fine with my old 98 e machines that ran Windows XP. Now I have a new e machine (yes I do try to take the cheapest route) and it doesnt want to work.
    Kerio although installed doesnt want to run or stay running it keeps saying it is stopped although I can't find what is stopping it. I don't run windows firewall because I don't like it and it refuses to turn off (at least that is what I experienced with my old pc until I deleted the files for it)

I would have just transferred everything, but my old hard drive crashed.

It made sense at the time to just go ahead and purchase a new e machine because the old one would not be feasible to upgrade to Vista. Now, however I think it would have been much more simpler to have just purchased a new hard drive and used my old pc!!!

I am a simple pc user and am currently at wits end ...I have seriously thought about deleting files for any program that is currently pissing me off. I can't seem to get around these UAC either, they are like icing on the cake.
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    ouch....u peeps are hard on ole MS.....lmao....I like vista....so much so that I just bought a new puter....and gave her a name....apple 1...Macworld here I come.....

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Good one Piper.. i think with the high cost of getting a decent Vista new computer, the price difference to Macs isn't that big!

Now, Vista does look good and has nice features, but XP is rock solid, besides all the remote execute flaws

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

remote execute flaws??? More than other windows typical backdoor action?
    Is this something that I should know about and what can one do to guard against attack (I mean besides the firewall that I can't get to work and antivirus).

Speech is
    Blondie

You should also patch as soon as Microsoft release their updates... it only takes a few days for viruses to use the new code for exploits... The big issue are the Zero-Hour bugs, where exploits/code is created before M$ patches them!!

But Firewall is a good start

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Yes, almost a month later...Vista and I have reached a happy medium. (Sounds like a reconciled relationship..lol) just sad

Speech is
    Blondie

That's good to hear! Giving Vista a little time mature will see some happier people.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I think I got a good deal on a PC because Vista Premium is not as good as XP.

Vista takes a lot of resource.

I can't use software older than 2007.

In my opinion Vista is not as good as XP.

In my opinion in 5 years we will need 4 GB of memory to run Vista and all it's updates. I have Aero turned off. My PC still uses 34% of 2 GB of memory just siting there doing nothing.