Thread: Microphone and headphone jacks do not work.

Gold Member

Microphone and headphone jacks do not work.

I have regular speakers hooked up to the back of the computer for several months. I also have a microphone jack and a headphone jack on the FRONT of the computer. If I remember right, when I would plug in the headphones in the front of the computer, the sound would then come from the headphones, and STOP coming from the regular speakers. Now, when I plug in the headphones in the front of the computer, there is no sound from them, and the sound continues coming from the speakers. I also checked the microphone jack on the front of the computer and it does not work. On the back of the computer (not a name brand) there are three small jacks. There is a green one where I currently have the speakers hooked to, and they do work. There is also a headphone jack and a microphone jack back there. They do not work. Running Windows XP Pro. Is this a hardware or software problem / Many thanks in advance.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    first thing would to download the lastest drivers and then remove all sound devices in device manager and reboot and reinstall the drivers. Thats a start.

I've got alot of such plug-in devices and have had to clean them from time to time to get them to work after a long period of no use. Sometime it's as simple as just plug and unplug a couple of times. Also, alot of the computer speaker systems have a headphone jack on the speaker with the volume control. I'd try cleaning B4 Phish's suggestion. (No offense intended Phish!) DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Gold Member
    Thanks phishhead and blackhat for the replies. Blackhat, have already tried your suggestion, and even tried other headphones and mic's etc. thanks.
    Phishhead--I downloaded the Realtek AC97 Audio Package 4.0 to my desktop.
    If I look in device manager under Sound Video and game controllers I see SIX items. Audio codecs, Legacy audio drivers, Legacy video capture devices, Media control devices, Realtek AC'97 audio for Via (R) audio controller, and Video codecs. Should I delete all six items, or just the Realtek AC97 one ? Also, do I install the driver package that I downloaded first, then do the delete etc. What order do I do next ? Or maybe I just do the delete, and when I reboot, Windows will get the drivers from the desktop ? Thanks again.

blackhat none taken good advice. delete all the realtek drivers first then reinstall the new drivers that you downloaded. I personally always do a fresh reboot when installing drivers even if windows doesnt suggest it.

Gold Member
    Phishhead--I deleted the Realtek AC97 audio etc in Device manager, and installed the new drivers I had downloaded to the desktop. No difference-the microphone and headphone jacks on the front and back of the computer still do not work. Any other suggestions ?

did you clean the jacks like blackhat suggested. If that doesnt work then the card could've went bad. Do you have any laying around that you can test. or take your card out and put it in another box and see if the symptoms follow the card.

Gold Member
    Yes, I cleaned the jack inputs, and even tried other devices, no luck.
    There is NO card. It is built in sound. There are two small jacks (Mic. and headphone) on the front of the computer. If I look on the inside of the case, there are two very small connectors that run to the motherboard. On the BACK of the computer there are three small jacks, Line in, Line out, and Mic.
    The only one that works is the Line out, that I have the speakers hooked to.
    I have already checked for any loose wires or connectors, no luck.

Have you checked to see if wires that furnish audio to front of case remain properly attached to motherboard?
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Go to the Audio properties (click the volume icon in system tray). Make sure you have not "muted" the Line-in and Mic options.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Also, those headphone ports have a little "toggle" type thingy ( <-- technical term) inside them that turns off the external speakers when the headphone jack gets pushed in. Sometimes that gets stuck. You may have a cable connection from the front sound ports down to the motherboard. If so, disconnect it on both ends and try your speakers in the rear port.

Gold Member
    Thanks efc, Reverend and rik for the additional suggestions. I think I may have found the problem, but not 100&#37; sure yet. The front headphone jack, mic. jack, and two USB ports are connected to a small board. There are two cables that come from that small board and connect to the motherboard that according to the book is a FRONT PANEL USB HEADER. These USB ports do work by the way. There is a third cable that comes from that small board that was wrapped up and went no where. This third cable has 7 small wires in it that are labeled GROUND, SPKOUTR, RETURNR, SPKOUTL, MICIN, MICBIAS, & RETURNL. Now the book shows a AUDIO1:Front Panel Audio Header on the motherboard. There is nothing going to this panel, but it has a jumper on pins 5 and 6, and a jumper on pins 9 and 10 which confuses me a bit. I would have guessed that those 7 wires need to be connected to that panel, but the fact that there are two jumpers there, makes me not too sure. There are ten pins on that panel I am talking about. Looking at the descriptions in the book talks about Mic, Ground, Audio signals etc. The motherboard is a ECS P4M890T-M2-LGA 775. I was going to call technical support tomorrow where I bought the computer, unless someone can tell me for sure that I do need to attach those wires and remove the two jumpers ??

Gold Member
    Update--I called the company that made my computer. They told me that when they receive motherboards that have those jumpers on the Front Panel Audio Header, they do NOT hook up the wires that run to the front mic. jack and the headphone jack. They told me to call the motherboard vendor, and ask for additional info. So I guess I have to call ECS.