Thread: HELP! net.exe Application Error

HELP! net.exe Application Error

HELP!

net.exe Appliction Error
    The Application failed to initialize properly (0XC0000142)
    Click on OK to terminate the application.

Appears 30 mins. after I log on and
    everytime I shutdown. Everytime I click
    OK it reappears.

Is there a way to fix this.

Thank you

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    net.exe is a process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System and offers additional functions to your local area network via the DOS command line. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems. This process can sometimes be used by trojans but is otherwise a legitimate process.

Note: net.exe is also a process which is registered as the w32.dabber.c worm. This virus is distributed via the Internet through e-mail and comes in the form of an e-mail message, in the hopes that you open its hostile attachment. The worm has its own SMTP engine which means it gathers E-mails from your local computer and re-distributes itself. In worst cases this worm can allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. This process is a security risk and should be removed from your system.
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/...sslibrary/net/

With that said, have you run an AV scan just in case?

After that have any updates been run in the last few days? Have you tried a System Restore?

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    net.exe is a process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System and offers additional functions to your local area network via the DOS command line. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems. This process can sometimes be used by trojans but is otherwise a legitimate process.

Note: net.exe is also a process which is registered as the w32.dabber.c worm. This virus is distributed via the Internet through e-mail and comes in the form of an e-mail message, in the hopes that you open its hostile attachment. The worm has its own SMTP engine which means it gathers E-mails from your local computer and re-distributes itself. In worst cases this worm can allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. This process is a security risk and should be removed from your system.
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/...sslibrary/net/

With that said, have you run an AV scan just in case?

After that have any updates been run in the last few days? Have you tried a System Restore?

Thank you for your help.....

- no i have not run an AV scan
    and there are no updates in the last few days
    and i have not tried Sytem Restore

To be honest I am really a novice when it comes to
    computers....

I will be trying your advise and be back for the results...

thanks again...