Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Vista Stand alone Firewall

Free Vista Stand alone Firewall

Does anyone know of a free stand alone firewall that is compatible with Vista? Something like Kerio, I would be willing to deal with a beta version if anyone knows of one. Thanks in advance.
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Last I checked there wasn't one available yet. I wonder what's taking the software developers so long.

I don't know. I keep thinking there has to be some sort of work around. Believe me it is ironic that I finally get a computer with a decent up to date amount of memory where I don't have to worry about space (previous e machine had 4 gb) and now nothing wants to work on it. I just can't win.....

Speech is
    Blondie

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Try one of these here

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Smile

Thanks Reverand

Speech is
    Blondie

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
    Try one of these here
    I installed what it seems to be the only Free firewall in that list Pc Tools Firewall Plus. But it stops Avast mail scanner from loading. So off it went!

I really liked Kerio on my old pc and eventhough I got it installed on this one, it runs but says something is stopping it. I can't figure out what though. I've told everything to let it though but I have disabled everything that I can turn off and I am still having problems

Speech is
    Blondie

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    I installed what it seems to be the only Free firewall in that list Pc Tools Firewall Plus. But it stops Avast mail scanner from loading. So off it went!
    Yeah thats what it did to me too..... i personally think that avast is brilliant so im not gonna remove that is there ANY firewall (apart from the standard Windows Vista one) that DOES not collide with Avast and is free ???

zonealarm is free,firewall only.
    that what i use.

ill be back soon,
    just watching some paint dry.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by harrytb View Post
    zonealarm is free,firewall only.
    that what i use.
    hmmm yh.... good idea.... but.. the last time i used it on my old XP os it slowed it down soo much... i had to get rid of it....

So today I tried to install the following firewalls, Zone Alarm, Agnitum and Jetico Personal Firewall. Before installing anything I backed up my C drive with Acronis True Image to be safe in case anything didn't go as planned.

Zone Alarm - After install I had no internet access whatsoever. Allowing all programs listed under program control didn't change anything.

Agnitum - Both of my browsers (FireFox and IE) were able to access the internet immediately but with Windows Mail only my Gmail account was working. My 3 other POP3 accounts couldn't connect. No amount of tinkering fixed it.

Jetico Personal Firewall - After restarting the PC after installation I was greeted with question upon question upon question of granting permission to different stuff (svchost and the like). It was like POP-UP HELL! After the 12th or so permission query I restored my drive to its previous image.

I still have to try PCTools Firewall Plus but I'm a bit wary with all the problems I ran into with the other programs. Maybe I'll just wait for Comodo to come out with their version.

We have a winner! I installed Webroot Desktop Firewall and so far no glitches and it's not hard to configure! It's free too, but you have to register to get the serial (much like Avast).

http://www.webroot.com/consumer/prod...sktopfirewall/

Bronze Member
    There is a free firewall called Comodo that many security orientated message boards agree with. It is said to be the only firewall that is leak proof. I use it on my computer.

The only firewall that doesn't leak

Unfortunately, most firewalls leak. But our Firewall software is unique in that it passes all known leak tests to ensure the integrity of data entering and exiting your system. We had put firewall through all kinds of sophisticated tests to ensure its firewall powerful enough to ward off these attacks with default settings. No other firewall has had to work this hard. Take this test yourself.
    lynchknot's altered ego

Quote Originally Posted by usergame View Post
    There is a free firewall called Comodo that many security orientated message boards agree with. It is said to be the only firewall that is leak proof. I use it on my computer.
    It's not Vista ready. That was the last firewall that I used when I was still using XP. I also mentioned Comodo in my previous post if you read it thoroughly.

Bronze Member
    No, didn't read all the posts. I didn't see any mention of operating system requirements so I assumed it would work since it's a relatively new firewall.
    lynchknot's altered ego