Thread: DVD+ and DVD- disks

Bronze Member

DVD+ and DVD- disks

Hi

Please can someone tell me the difference between DVD+ and DVD- disks. I asked the guy in the shop and he said 'not much'.

However this can't be true. I bought some Infiniti DVD+ and Infiniti DVD-, the + works on my dvd writer, the - doesn't. My DVD writer is an 18x Freecom DVD RW recorder double layer DVD+/-RW, so I am assuming that theoretically both + and - should work.

Also what's the difference between all the different colour tops. I noticed that the same brands have different colours at different prices.

Thanks for your help.

Lou

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
    Thanks Reverend. Any suggestions as to why the DVD-R won't work on my DVD+ and - writer? It stops burning at 4%.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Some brands of DVD media work better than others.

Try another brand.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
    Some brands of DVD media work better than others.

Try another brand.
    Hmm. ... that's the strange thing: Infiniti DVD+R works on the writer, but not Infiniti DVD-R, so it's the same brand!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hello LouBee.

The brand name means nothing, the brands use different disk manufactures. They also are changing between manufactures all the time. The DVD+ could be made by some company other than the company that made the DVD-. The media could also not be supported by the drives firmware.

You need to read the DVD's ATPI to find the info, your burning software should do this if not use Nero CD-DVD Speed. This will also test your burn quality.

Here's a nice long thread about Infiniti Media showing the ups & downs.

My rule of thumb, if the media is "Made In Japan", no matter the brand, I buy it and never have problems.

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame View Post
    Hello LouBee.

The brand name means nothing, the brands use different disk manufactures. They also are changing between manufactures all the time. The DVD+ could be made by some company other than the company that made the DVD-. The media could also not be supported by the drives firmware.

You need to read the DVD's ATPI to find the info, your burning software should do this if not use Nero CD-DVD Speed. This will also test your burn quality.

Here's a nice long thread about Infiniti Media showing the ups & downs.

My rule of thumb, if the media is "Made In Japan", no matter the brand, I buy it and never have problems.
    Thanks very much FastGame. This DVD burning business... you could do a PhD on it!