Thread: Debug IE ?? Signature error ?? [FIXED]

Silver Member

Debug IE ?? Signature error ?? [FIXED]

Hi, Trying to help a friend. She goes to a particular site for her job from home, and after she enters her name and password it closes and goes back to her homepage Here is what she says happens.
    "HI Mike, I have Windows XP Home . This is what pops up: Interenet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. For more about this error click here. And when I clicked the box, this is what it said:
    Error signature- App name: iexplore.exe Appvez: 7.0.6000.16473 Mod name: unknown
    Mod Ver: 0.0.0.0. Off set: 60b47930
    Then at the bottom at the left side there is a box to click that says Debug . On the right side there is a box that says Close. if I click the box to Debug, it closes the page and goes back to my homepage. "
    Any suggestions as to what I might have her try or change ? Thanks, Mike

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Does she have Java installed?

Install the latest version (JRE 6 Update 1) from here

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

If that doesn't fix it, it could be spyware/adware related.

Download "Ad-Aware 2007 Free". Details here

Silver Member
    Not sure, Rev. I will find out, but she probably does. I will have her download it from the link you provided. Thanks, Mike

Silver Member
    Update--she downloaded that Java, no difference. Also she does update and run Adaware and Spybot S&D. Any other suggestions ? Thanks, Mike

Does she have the problem with other sites or just that one?

To get rid of the debug messages:

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab.

Put a tick next to "Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)"
    Put a tick next to "Disable script debugging (Other)"
    Untick "Display a notification about every script error"

Click Apply and OK.

Silver Member
    Thanks for the reply Reverend. To my knowledge, that is the only site she has problems with. I told her to call the site and see if they could help. They told her the problem was NOT at their end, to call her Internet Provider. She called them and they said it was NOT their problem either, to call Microsoft. She called Microsoft, they said they could tell her how to fix it, but it would cost about $60.00 so she said no. Already tried that script debugging you suggested, it already was that way, with the tick marks to disable, and no tick mark to Display a message. etc. Also tried disabling third party extensions, no luck. I told her to stop in my place and try that site from my two computers. One has XP Pro and the other has 98SE. If she still has problems with my two computers, then I believe it has to be with the site.
    Any other suggestions in the mean time are greatly appreciated, Mike

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Also have her try the site using IE 6. May be some odd functionality of IE 7 that is the problem for that site.

Have you got a link to the site?

Silver Member
    rik--It would be too much trouble to delete IE7 and go back to IE6.
    Reverend--The site is here, www.cliu.org , she then signs on with her name and password to read her e-mail messages. Shortly afterword she gets the messsge I stated in the first post.

It would be too much trouble to delete IE7 and go back to IE6.
    I actually meant on a different machine but, How about using Firefox?

Silver Member
    rik-Yea, I should have known that you meant another machine.
    Anyway--She did come over to my house, and has no problem using my computer with XP Pro and IE7. Then she tried the site on another computer with Win. 98 SE and IE6, no problem. I now have a better understanding of what happens. She is able to access www.cliu.org with no problem, She then logs in with her name and password etc and check her e-mail messages and whatever. No problem at all at this point. Then when she closes out, the CLIE home page comes up for a few seconds. That is when she gets those messages. At that point she has two options-to CLOSE or to DEBUG. choosing either one takes her back to her home page. I guess I need to pay a house visit and make sure her Adaware and Spybot are up to date, although she tells me they are. Any other suggestions in the meantime are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Silver Member
    Problem solved-- I made a housecall. First I "Disabled third part extensions" or something like that. Then I cleared out all the excess Startup programs. Next came a new Adaware, and also that new AVG Antispyware program, and last was CCleaner. After I did all the above and ran the programs, the problem was gone. Not sure which step fixed it, but the popup and closing are now byebye.

Awesome!