June 28th, 2007, 18:27 PM
Old and Cranky
Odds Given on iPhone Failure
When the long-awaited iPhone hits store shelves this week, no doubt many Apple enthusiasts will adopt early as they've done in the past with other products from the company. But just how crazy it gets is anyone's bet.
In fact, BetUS.com figures the odds are 20-1 that someone will get trampled while scrambling to snag one June 29. The site has also put odds on how long the batteries will last and whether the devices will be recalled.
The idea for creating these odds and a host of others surrounding the iPhone was spurred by past electronic firsts that have been greeted with enthusiasm but also a slew of unrealized defects and bugs.
"This phone has everything but the kitchen sink,” said BetUS.com spokesman Reed Richards. “With the seemingly endless options that the phone offers, the chances for a malfunction are likely.”
The device combines a web browser, music player and mobile phone into Apple’s characteristic sleek package.
Will iPhone live up to the expectations of today’s tech-savvy consumers? Here’s what BetUS.com is betting:
* Consumers are reported camping out waiting for an iPhone—3/1
* Initial iPhones get recalled—30/1
* iPhone sells at least 12 Million units in 2008—5/6
* Apple’s stock jumps at least 10% in value in regards to the price on 6/30/07—1/2
* Consumers pay at least three times the original price ($1,500) on ebay—2/1
* The screen breaks/cracks like Apple’s first-generation nano (iPod)—150/1
* There are mass reports of the battery life being less than the promised 8 hours—10/1
* Someone is trampled while trying to get an iPhone—20/1
* iPhone spontaneously combusts—150/1
Original story at LiveScience.