Thread: PC shutdown utility required

PC shutdown utility required

Hi all,

I’m looking for a freeware utility that will shutdown a PC at a scheduled time. I’ve found a variety of such programs on the web but all seem to run only if someone is actually logged into the PC. I need a something that will shut down a PC at a given time even if a user is not logged in i.e. the machine is waiting at the crtl – alt – del screen. I guess required something that runs as a service but I can’t find any such program.

Oh yeah, and if the PC in standby mode I want it brought back to life and shutdown fully.

To put it in a nutshell I have 65 PCs in a room and I want them all to power off fully @ 11.30 every evening whether they be in use, awaiting login (at ctrl – alt –del screen) or in standby mode.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Linux Mint Debian Edition

Windows has it's own shutdown command and you can run it from a batch file, batch file can be a scheduled task, scheduled task includes an option to 'wake computer to run task'.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curio View Post
    Windows has it's own shutdown command and you can run it from a batch file, batch file can be a scheduled task, scheduled task includes an option to 'wake computer to run task'.

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Found at shellcity.net:
    DShutdown is a stand-alone program that allows you to easily shutdown and wake up local or remote PCs, with many specific options.

DShutdown supports more than just standard shutdown options, there are options relating to "pure" shutdown (such as the "force after wait" option which causes a forced, but 'clear' shutdown). There are monitoring options that allow you to shutdown a PC after a particular application terminates (useful at the end of compressing several files). There are also options to shutdown a PC when Internet traffic reduces below a particular data-rate (useful to shutdown a PC when it has finished a large download).

It is also possible to intercept a shutdown request, initiated by the user or an application, and to then execute the shutdown request with selected options from DShutdown. (For example: to simultaneously shut down all Lan PCs when the server shuts down).

DShutdown doesn't force a power-off without logging off and saving settings. DShutdown instead provides a means to log-off, shutdown and safely power-off your PC. Administrators who use roaming profiles will appreciate the benefits of this feature.
    Download DShutdown v1.72
    (Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP/VISTA) ca 200 KB
    FAQ How To Shutdown Remote PCs

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Here is the shutdown command lines you can run from windows.

Shutdown local system: shutdown /s /t ShutdownDelay /l /f
    (example shutdown /r /t 60)

Restart local system: shutdown /r /t ShutdownDelay /l /f

Cancel shutdown: shutdown /a

Shutdown remote system: shutdown /s /t \\system name