Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCLinuxOS 2007 Final Released

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar

PCLinuxOS 2007 Final Released

Texstar and the Ripper Gang are pleased to announce the final release of PCLinuxOS 2007. Featuring kernel 2.6.18.8, KDE 3.5.6, Open Office 2.2.0, Firefox 2.0.0.3, Thunderbird 2.0, Frostwire, Ktorrent, Amarok, Flash, Java JRE, Beryl 3D and much much more. Almost 2 gigs of software compressed on a single self bootable livecd that can be installed to your hard drive provided it is compatible with your system and you like the distribution. Over 5000+ additional packages available after hard drive install through our Synaptic Software Manager. Please note PCLinuxOS does not ship with Win32codes or DVD decryption software. Proprietary Nvidia and ATI drivers available after hard drive install.
    Download Mirrors

Torrent

Purchase disk from On-Disk.com

Happy Linux

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Is this the same as TR4?

Yes and no, kinda but not really, looks the same but isn't, TR4 can be updated but it won't be final version....

Many things changed between TR4 & Final, kernel, drivers.....

There are many many changes compared to TR4 which can not be properly effected without a reinstall.
    The final will generate a different driver load list, different fstab, different bootloader configuration will use different kernel with different drivers, different skeletons for the users and so on.

It was always stated that the Final will require a clean install.
    Last edited by FastGame; May 22nd, 2007 at 17:31 PM.

I’m testing this out on a second system but I have to say I’m surprised with the application performance. looks pretty sweet!

Yes its amazing how fast a PIII 512mb machine can once again be, and a modern system really flys Working nice on my end

I'm glad rik talked me into this Linux stuff, I never would have thought it would be this good

I’m glad I started messing with Linux myself. I got my first real taste of the operating systems while I was in Unix/Linux class. I have love how easy the command structure was to use and if I did not like a command line I can use aliases to change how I would personally call it. But I think the real closer for me was the built in compliment software for C, C#, and C++, since I’m in a software dev degree path I found this to be a really inexpensive way to have my compliment tool and OS wrapped all in one.

Each day I seem to become a bigger fan of Linux.

I have love how easy the command structure was to use and if I did not like a command line I can use aliases to change how I would personally call it.
    I'm not an expert on the C/L, but getting better. Thats what I like most about PCLinuxOS, you don't need the C/L yet its there for those who want its power, PCLOS is truly an OS for both the beginner and advanced user alike.

Fastgame, on the issue we spoke of with my soundcard, an SB Live value, TR4 saw it and loaded support but gave no sound. I yanked that one and installed an old TB Montego II card, redeteced the HW and now have sound!?! Go figure...

oh and to re-emphasize...

Please note PCLinuxOS does not ship with Win32codes or DVD decryption software. Proprietary Nvidia and ATI drivers available after hard drive install.
    Last edited by rik; May 23rd, 2007 at 03:24 AM.

Please note PCLinuxOS does not ship with Win32codes or DVD decryption software. Proprietary Nvidia and ATI drivers available after hard drive install.
    libdvdcss2 and Win32 codec are in the repositories, its up to the individual to decide if they want these installed. Same with the GFX drivers.

Synaptic> Search> check install>

Also, as in Windows there's VLC player

Yeah that sound card problem is weird, anyhoo that TB Montego will sound better than the SB Live.....after you install the codec

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I have this running from the LiveCD since Beta2, it's great, works really well. I've mainly used it for back up purposes on dozed XP installations, and each time it boots up and everything works great.

Great look and feel, it's really getting up there!

One thing tho, are there any apps that can write to NTFS?! Im tired of FAT HDs

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site View Post
    One thing tho, are there any apps that can write to NTFS?! Im tired of FAT HDs
    PCLinuxOS does that, the package is in the repositories. Been working fine for me

Read-write NTFS driver for Linux
    The ntfs-3g driver is an open source, freely available read/write NTFS
    driver, which provides safe and fast handling of the Windows XP, Windows
    Server 2003, Windows 2000 and Windows Vista filesystems. Almost the full
    POSIX filesystem functionality is supported, the major exceptions are
    changing the file ownerships and the access rights.

The purpose of the project is to develop, continuously quality test and
    support a trustable, featureful and high performance solution for hardware
    platforms and operating systems whose users need to reliably interoperate
    with NTFS. Besides this practical goal, the project also aims to explore
    the limits of the hybrid, kernel/user space filesystem driver approach,
    performance, reliability and feature richness per invested effort wise.

The driver is in STABLE status. The test methods, the test suites used and
    testimonials can be found on:

http://www.ntfs-3g.org/quality.html

News, support answers, problem submission instructions, support and discussion
    forums, performance numbers and other information are available on the project

Excellent FastGame... how do i get access to these Repositories?!

Are they able to be slipstreamed on the LiveCD, together with the CSS2 and DVD Codecs?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I believe they're only available after a hard drive install, not on the Live cd.

Repositories are where the packages are stored on the remote sever. PCLinuxOS uses Synaptic as its package manager, when you hit reload in Synaptic it accesses the PCLOS repositories and shows you whats available or upgradeable.

If you want to continue using LiveCD's it would be best to install PCLOS on the HD, upgrade everything, install all the software (packages) you want, make all settings you like, then remaster your very own LiveCD.

You can take it to work or where ever and you'll have your personal OS, the way you like, bookmarks and all.

Comes in handy at Grandma's house or public library's.
    Last edited by FastGame; June 26th, 2007 at 21:33 PM.

I didnt know about the remaster LiveCD.. that is excellent. I'll try to put an old HD in and download all the new packages, are they usually large files?

But would all these new things still fit on the liveCD?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---