Thread: Indentifying my PC on a broadband connection

Indentifying my PC on a broadband connection

I use a normal UK broadband internet connection. I'm wondering how identifyable this makes my PC when I visit a web site. Will I have the same IP address or anything else which means I am recognisable as same PC each time I visit? Of course my PC has MAC address etc, but how much of this is sent to the web?

As an example, how could TZ tell if two accounts were owned by the same person, if he used different information to register (it is an example only)?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    It can depend on whether your ISP provides you with a static or dynamic IP.

A static IP never changes, however bear in mind that even with a dynamic IP, that changes each time you connect, it will still route back to your ISP.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

I thought a normal internet connection always used dynamic IP? So how can I tell... and continuing the example about having two forum accounts, since it's very easy to understand, would a it normally be trivial/possible/hard/impossible to determine this if IP was not fixed? Could you do it?

Open command prompt c:\ window. Type "ipconfig /all" This will provide a wealth of ip info.

Keep in mind that as Reverend and d000hg stated, the ip could change each time you connect to the ip server. If you are using a router that is always on and you only power cycle the computer, that ip address can remain static for fairly long periods. Around here, my ip is likely to change when power is lost during a thunder storm.

You can also determine your current ip address here -

http://whatismyip.com/
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Another good method is to install and run Belarc Advisor. It will report this type info:

Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.xxx.xxx / xx
    Gateway: 192.168.xxx.xxx
    Dhcp Server: 192.168.xxx.xxx
    Physical Address: 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

download - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1385.html
    Linux Mint Debian Edition