Thread: Automated BIOS configuration

Question Automated BIOS configuration

Ok guys I have a question and im not even sure if it can be done or not. Is there a way to create a Boot cd to automatically change BIOS setting on a motherboard?

My goal is to boot to a CD or diskette and have it automatically config the BIOS instead of manually configuring them. Normally this is not a problem with a few system but when you have several thousands systems then it becomes a huge problem with production times.

So is there a way to do this?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    There might a way, but it'll be a more multi-layered approach..

First need to boot into some low-level 'DOS'-type environment, and then issue INT13h etc etc type commands... These use the BIOS commands to interact with actual hardware, so not sure if there are a set of instructions to actually get/set the BIOS... Needs to be almost some sort of Pre-Boot Bootup aka "Setup Screen"

What is wrong with Default BIOS settings?! Surely with 'thousands' of systems you'd want a reliable/standard environment, rather than trying to tweak everyone system (as they aren't made exactly the same )

It is a good question though, perhaps you can email and ask the BIOS manufacturers - like call Phoenix or AWARD etc, say "Hi, I'm a computing student, and just enquiring about how you guys actually code the BIOS etc etc"

Let us know

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site View Post
    What is wrong with Default BIOS settings?
    The major problem with the default BIOS setting is that it will not accept the image from the ghost server. The setting that stops the system from receiving the image is the AHCI mode has to be put into compatibility mode. And the Security chip set also has to be disabled. With out changing these two BIOS setting the computer will always error out on the imaging process if it even starts at all.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I assume that a Ghost startup disk doesn't work?

The Ghost start up disk will boot up to the point where it tries to connect a session. After that it will not receive the image at all, until the BIOS setting are changed. After the changes are made there is no problem with the imaging process.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Sorry I couldnt help any more. Did you manage to derive a workaround? Might be good to email the BIOS manufacturers so they can incorporate the changes and make the settings default for newer versions

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---