Thread: Application Hang

Application Hang

When watching a DVD on my comp, I occasionally get an error saying that "WMP has encountered a problem and needs to close". Following the links, it says "no user action required. Application Hang" and what appears to be a memory location. I'm convinced the problem is not in the Media Player. Can anybody point me to the resolution? (Memtest?). DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Without more info on the error I would reinstall WMP, or try VLC Player and see if it does the same thing.

Thanks for the reply FG! I've already dumped and reloaded WMP. Just tested my GeForce FX5200 and failed the video memory test. Nvidia's site is not much help, but I'm going to compare their bios setting recomendations against mine next. Still don't know if I'm headed in the right direction. may need a better video adapter. Kinda exciting to finally have a problem with this machine! DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Did you look in Administrative Tools> Event Viewer to see if the error is listed, and check the errors properties ? maybe there's more info there ?

Yeah. That's where I started and got the event IDs 1001 and 1002, but didn't post them because I thought it was just local bookkeeping for errors. In any event, I dwnlded a second set of drivers and then passed the video memory test. I'll see if I still get the error when I play a DVD. I think I'm good now. Thanks! DRB

"Will Golf for Food"