Thread: Burning DVDs, installing without DVD

Burning DVDs, installing without DVD

I downloaded Windows Server 2008 Beta yesterday as a 1.8Gb .iso image. I thought I had some spotware to write discs from images but I can't find it.
    Can someone recommend a good free tool for this - of course it must support DVD writing.

Secondly, the pc I want to install it on has no DVD capabilities. It is on the network though. Is it possible I could burn my DVD (I want a DVD copy for the future) and then copy it to the PC over the network and install from the HD somehow? I guess I can't do a network install because the PC will forget the network once it kills off the existong OS. But then, if I do it off the HD won't it get wiped during the install?

The PC has boot-from-CD abilities, if I found a DVD drive and swapped it temporarily with the CD drive would it work as a bootable DVD device? This might be easiest...

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I would install daemon tools on the pc youre gonna install it too and mount the ISO image. No dvd drive required.

http://www.daemon-help.com/index.html

But once I start installing, won't the entire HD be trashed as it's converted to the new file system? And a Windows install requires multiple restarts doesn't it, so things in memory would get lost?

I guess another option is to partition the HD but I dislike having a special partition for this reason alone.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Phish suggestion is the right, and yes, you'd need either a partition on your install HD, or perhaps use a second HD

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---