Thread: WiFi Infrastructure Help wanted.. small town

Post WiFi Infrastructure Help wanted.. small town

Hi,
    We want to setup a wifi LAN specifically for games and p2p in our small town, which is quite hilly and the buildings are relatively small too (<3-4 floors). Our town comprises of 2 hills separated by a valley and a river. Each hill has about 50 users and air distance from top of each hill to the bottom will be about 600-800m. We're planning to setup a tower on each of the two hills and they'l have about 2km distance between them and have a dedicated server running. Can anyone suggest the network hardware i'll need (with model no. for reference if u can) assuming everyone has wifi adapters installed on their PC/laptop and a maximum of about 200 users will be online either for p2p or LAN games.
    Thanks a lot,
    Ben

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Sounds like a good project, and quite technically challenging.

The topology and building density will play a bit part in your design. I'm thinking you might be better off talking directly to a WiFi manufacturing company, as they will have exact performance specifications and even radio output maps/overlays.

You'll need some sort of directional link, perhaps even microwave, between the two towers as a sort of backbone. The main issues will be meshing, how to you handle changeover between towers and overlapping signals etc...

Another idea might be, instead of people using their wifi laptops to connect to the wlan of the towers, each house could have an antenna on their roofs, and that then feeds into a wireless router inside their house, which then the people connect to, either wirelessly or cable. That will reduce direct load on backbone (1 connection per household, compared to trying to route 200 people directly)...

Keep us posted on the work goodluck.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thanks for the reply.
    We did have a discussion with one of the WiFi companies here and one of them was suggesting having an omni in a central location which can cover both areas instead of 2 towers and having an antenna on each house. How much gain will be suffucient for this purpose? ie. about 2 Km to the top of each hill if we can install the omni on a tower near the valley between the hills? The max we have here is a 15dB omni. Any disadvantages over having two towers on the top of each hill?

We're not really experts in this field so any comment will be appreciated. Thanks

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Hi Benzi, sorry for the late reply - how have u gone with setting up the network?

The 15dB omni should be ok, it's really the power behind it that matters i.e. 10Watts, 50Watts etc etc ... I've seen a powered directional 100W antenna reach 100 Miles... plus, it fries your eyes...

Now, not sure about the FCC rules, but i think there might be a radio licence or policy to check out, it might limit you to 1W (as you are not allowed to interfere with commercial radio or affect other people - baby monitor fiasco)...

good luck, i'll check this thread more often now

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---