Thread: I have two explorer.exe open

Bronze Member

I have two explorer.exe open

.........and when I end one with taskmanager, it usually won't come back for a long time. When I reboot explorer usually crashes then comes back. Sometimes opening an application causes explorer "memory cannot be read" but only crashes my taskbar - explorer still running in taskmanager. Other than these issues, my computer runs fine. You know I'm a security app junkie/ho-re - none of which ever finds anything wrong.

Last edited by usergame; August 31st, 2007 at 18:55 PM.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    It's time to reformat your hard drive!

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Are they causing problems?

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    When this happens, are any folders open? I sometimes get 2 explorers from that.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Bronze Member
    Well not really causing problems. I just close one explorer or if there is a crash I just open explorer and all is fine. It's just an irritation. Realize my computer runs 24/7 and it's been running since Fastgame gave me this motherboard except for reboots.

Haha, Conan!
    Last edited by usergame; September 2nd, 2007 at 04:42 AM.

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by piaqt View Post
    When this happens, are any folders open? I sometimes get 2 explorers from that.

You are correct. Thank you. I have another explorer issue. When I open some apps, explorer will crash then come back. When I reboot explorer will crash and come back but my wallpaper will be replaced with a white wall asking me if I had an active desktop and if I want to fix it.

I've had sinilar problems: When running WMP or other graphics-intense apps, my desktop and quicklaunch bar go blooey, and right-clicking the taskbar does nothing. So I ctrl-alt-delete, end and restart explorer.exe, and that fixes it. My guess is that aero strains my video card. As mine is a laptop, the li'l bugger is part of the motherboard (?) and hence, non-replaceable.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Bronze Member
    still have problem. Only some apps cause explorer to:

The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

Try the MSFT newsgroups. And go to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx, download & run Process explorer, and save the list of running processes. This info will help debug things.

And look through Event Viewer for anything with that error message.
    Last edited by piaqt; September 23rd, 2007 at 16:20 PM. Reason: A lightbulb went off.

love, piaqt

Bronze Member
    Event viewer says it's winlogon sending "The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted"

love, piaqt