Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HAM Radio and Eavesdropping!!!! LONG ONE!

Angry HAM Radio and Eavesdropping!!!! LONG ONE!

Does anyone here know anything about HAM Amatuer Radio? I ask this for a reason.....and it's the neighbor over the hill.....Here is the story.....

The guy knocks on our door two weeks ago and says.....Hi I'm so and so from over the hill and I'm a LICENSED (felt it necessary to keep repeating that) HAM operator just over the hill from you. I'm having an interruption in my signal and I'm driving around to find that it pegs out here at your house. Do you have a baby monitor or something on because I can hear every word and noise in your house.

I was stunned....I'm like WTF???? What the hell is a HAM and you said you are hearing everything we say in OUR HOME???

My husband goes outside to his truck, but tells me to go upstairs where our Video Cam is in our daughters bedroom, part of a video cam/mini tv reciever purchased several years ago, to stand there and talk.

He came back in the house with this guy and said yep, I can hear everything you said like you were next to me.

Now, I've lived here for a year, and I'm wondering just what the hell this guy has heard??? He states that baby monitors and video systems like this are "illegal" and that it is not supposed to interfere with his transmissions and receptions. My husband replies.....Oh really? Well these are sold by the thousands everyday at Wal-Marts and the like so I guess you are going to travel around the neighborhood and yell at everybody about it right? Guy says, I just wondered if you could unplug it during some "competition" I'm having on the weekend. I thought I should come down and tell you that I can hear you and that even though your monitor downstairs to see her is off, the cam you have plugged in is transmitting audio over a radio signal 24 hours a day.

We're like, yeah right........if you think we are plugging that thing back in you are nuts. And now I'm pissed because I'm out $100 video system, can't watch my kid, and wondering who the hell this guy is to come to my house and tell me that a common household baby item that is sold all over the damn world is illegal.....is HE illegal up there????

Ok, so hubby decides he'd going to open the cam, try to disable audio output somehow. Is able to pull the mic, but decides he won't even try to plug it back in because he is not sure if it is still transmitting or "keyed" all the time anyway. So, I'm pissed all week wondering how I'm going to watch my 4 year old at night upstairs while I'm down, and why I have to spend more money for something with NO audio so I can't hear her..........

Yesterday he is at my door again. Babysitter answers and is pissed already that she can't see the baby because of this guy. He asks her if we have our monitor plugged in because he is still having "problems." Babysitter is not nice about it, tells him she don't know, and she's not going upstairs to find out for him. He takes my card and leaves.

Here is our problem and question now that you are half asleep being kind enough to read this far........My husband and I are pissed that this guy thinks he can go around "policing" the neighborhood regarding what "bothers" him on his radio when he stood in my house, admitted he can eavesdrop with what he has in his home and proved it in his truck, and has now cost me $100 and have no way to see/hear my daughter without additional purchase of more equipment. Is he aloud to do this kind of thing? Should we talk to the police about his potential harassment of us and intimidating/scaring us into going through our house and shutting things off to accomodate him because he claims its "illegal?"

Does anyone know the rules regarding HAM or what it is and if he is aloud to do what he is doing?

The next time he comes here he is getting run off my property, and then he will shortly thereafter get a visit from a local police officer....

I would appreciate anyone elses insight and advice on this.

Thanks,
    Sharon

Unhappy Update: Apparently, I have no rights and he has plenty!

Just spoke to the chief of police in my area....here are his answers.

1. When you decide to broadcast over anything, you give up your right to privacy, no matter what it is. (so basically, in other words, "tough shit.")

2. When YOU buy things YOU need to read the bottom concerning the FCC rules...YOU are in violation of FCC rules with your monitor and HE can put an FCC complaint in about YOU and YOU can be fined. (who in the world reads the bottoms of stuff that is inside BOXES at the store about this crap???)

3. Keep your monitor off - and go buy another one that doesn't broadcast over a radio signal. (Not realizing the miles of wire I have to run and the $$$$$ it's going to cost to buy something cabled or wired to replace what I have)

So there you have it, apparently this jerk is allowed to bully me into shutting off everything that interrupts his signal. How this is allowed I have no clue, but if our wireless network is interfering with his radio signal.....bring on the fines because he can kiss my a$$!

Sharon

Well Sharon I can understand what you are going through. I am also a licensed Ham Radio Operator. This is a very touchy issue in many areas around the country. Ham radio is a hobby that provides a service of communication during disasters like hurricane Katrina. The rest of the time HAMs as we are called talk all over the world to other HAMs. What this does is gives us practice using and understanding our equipment so we can be ready to help if needed. If you like you can visit the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) which is a nation wide HAM club at http://www.arrl.org/
    This might give you some more insight as to what HAM Radio is about.

As for you Video Cam monitor for your child's room you should be able to take it back to the place of purchase and explain what has happened and see if they can help you.

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Call the manufacturer. This should not be happening.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I personally like the kiss my ass solution.

Pia and Tinker have the best solution. If your devices are broadcasting out of spec., you should get it fixed. As far as the K my A solution, He can flood your video monitor with I Love Lucy Reruns, and your audio portion with a continuous "bad horn arrangement". I'd cooperate and try to get it sorted out. You could well be "throwing your trash in his backyard". DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Bronze Member
    I had a scanner that would tune into those frequencies and cell phones as well. Snipping a brown wire in the scanner would give one a larger range of cell phone frequencies.

It sounds like your baby monitor is transmitting a "dirty" signal and bleeding into other freqs. That is usually the case when a CB-er is using a solid state linear amplifier.
    Last edited by usergame; September 12th, 2007 at 19:22 PM.

Since the Ham's transmissions aren't interferring with the baby monitor, the monitor system is probably x-mitting into freqs that are not allowed for that class of device as usergame suggests. I'd try to resolve the problem with him. If he has even modest abilities, he can cause you a heck of alot more trouble than you can cause him. eg. Your garage door opening at all hours of the day and night-a simple task for a Ham. DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

1)Don't blame the HAM guy for being able to hear you. You're the one with the equivalent of a radio playing at full volume 24/7.
    Last edited by phishhead; September 15th, 2007 at 06:16 AM. Reason: No reason to flame users.

Sorry... it wasn't meant as rude as it obviously sounded. Apologies.

Bronze Member
    Well, the fact is - if you are transmitting any analog signal, anyone with a baby monitor or whatever that's on the same frequency, can listen or watch.

*edit - oh oops. cmputrskillme Already said that.
    Last edited by usergame; September 16th, 2007 at 04:20 AM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Has this been resolved? I wonder if you could sue him for voyering? or illegal eavesdropping?

I just hope there weren't any 'embarrassing' moments recored during the months of undetected use?!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Bronze Member
    Don't even think about suing the ham guy.

You're the one breaking the regulations, and you're the one risking a fine for the use of unauthorized equipment....

Johan-Kr
    System1: iMac 27"
    System2: PowerMac dual 800 (mirrored drive doors), OsX 1.5 Leopard
    System3: EPoX 8KDA3+, 1Gb RAM, 4x1Tb - Raid5, CoolerMaster CM Stacker, FreeNAS.

My hubby is in to ham radio, it's a very very expensive hobby let me tell you.
    Last edited by Amanda; December 20th, 2007 at 14:52 PM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenalaar View Post
    Don't even think about suing the ham guy.

You're the one breaking the regulations, and you're the one risking a fine for the use of unauthorized equipment....

Johan-Kr
    Fair enough, i just thought that just because he is using a legal HAM radio, and is licensed, doesn't mean he is allowed to use it in an illegal manner.

Like your neighbor's open WiFi, if you accidentally connect to it, your stealing.

In any case, i''m sure compromise between the parties should be the goal, like, perhaps the guy doesn't have 'competitions' at night while she can monitor the baby, and then during the weekends, he can compete, while she 'actively' monitors the baby, perhaps to the mall etc...

Hmm.. with all this HAM speak, i am looking forward to the Festivities

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---