Thread: DVD-RW Drive not recognizing discs - In Depth explaination

DVD-RW Drive not recognizing discs - In Depth explaination

Spec:

Window Vista 32bit Home Premium
    Lite-on DVD-RW SOHW-812S

My Problem:

I was using windows explorer to burn content onto dvd discs. just data. then at the end of the burning session the process got hung up for whatever reason. after 15-20 min in that hung up stage i decided to use the task manager to end the process. well..the burning session was hung up at "not responding" and 'my computer' window was hung up on "not responding"...i couldnt restart windows explorer. so, i had to force reset my computer because it wouldnt shut down.

when i got back into my computer, the drive was un-responsive. i unlugged it completly, reinstalled drivers. i even updated firmware for the drive. when i try to access any disc from "my computer" in that drive, it says one of two things ; 1. Please insert disc in drive. 2. Something about disc not readable, need to format.

I tried to format, im not given the option. I've tried multiple discs, and even different brand of discs.

I have used Nero Burning Rom 8 to burn a music cd, and on dvd's with open sessions i am able to see this info. and im pretty sure i can burn dvd's using nero.

I just cant access the discs via Windows Explorer, which is crucial because i need to get things off of discs i know have content on them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*update* i burned a data dvd with nero, and i can then double click the icon in 'my computer' and the disc now opens and i can see the content...but i still cant take a blank dvd and drag files into the disc, from within explorer.

kinda odd.

Check to make sure that when you reinstalled the drive it didnt clear the option "enable recording on this drive" for it.Can be found by right clicking your DVD-RW drive icon in My Computer and choose the Recording Tab.Not sure if you already tried but i had the same issue before and this solved it for me.

On a side note i think Lite-On DVD drives seem to go a little loopy with age.I had one that gave almost identical problems to yours i thought it had just died of old age tryed everything you did and replaced it with a new ASUS DVD-/+RW DL Lightscribe.I later decided to try the Lite-On in another PC and it actually worked fine again.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; September 15th, 2007 at 12:32 PM.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant View Post
    Check to make sure that when you reinstalled the drive it didnt clear the option "enable recording on this drive" for it.Can be found by right clicking your DVD-RW drive icon in My Computer and choose the Recording Tab.Not sure if you already tried but i had the same issue before and this solved it for me.

On a side note i think Lite-On DVD drives seem to go a little loopy with age.I had one that gave almost identical problems to yours i thought it had just died of old age tryed everything you did and replaced it with a new ASUS DVD-/+RW DL Lightscribe.I later decided to try the Lite-On in another PC and it actually worked fine again.
    LiteOn DVD drives are loopy even when new!

Thank you for the feedback. Drives are so cheap i might as well go buy a new DL drive, live in the now.

But i will try this drive in another computer and see how it goes.

Thanks again.