Thread: Vista and networking

Bronze Member

Vista and networking

I have a Vista machine connected directly to my Linksys router.
    Also, I have a laptop running XP.

The laptop recognizes the Linksys network.
    When I look for a network on the Vista machine I don't see anything.

So I'm wondering what I need to do to get the network set up on the Vista side.

Any tips ?

Indiana U.S.A.

When you run Network Map on a Windows Vista-based computer, computers that are running Microsoft Windows XP do not appear on the network diagram.Back to the top

This problem occurs if the Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder component is not installed on the Windows XP-based computer.

Network Map in Windows Vista makes network diagrams of the connections between network devices that can be used to troubleshoot connectivity problems. Network Map uses a discovery protocol called Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) that queries other devices on the network to determine how the network is organized.

Windows Vista includes the software components that implement the LLTD protocol. For other devices on the network to be displayed on the map, they must enable a discovery protocol that can respond to the mapping requests from the Windows Vista-based computer.Back to the top

Update information

To resolve this problem, install the update that is described in this section. The update installs the LLTD Responder component on Windows XP-based computers. The following file is available for download from the Microsoft download center:

Download the Windows XP package now. (

Release Date: November 21, 2006

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Software Paradise
    Thanks for that Tinker, will have to try it out soon.

I just installed Vista, and trying hard to figure out how to setup a network with routers and XP PCs... lol, even trying to setup ICS on the XP 'domain-ed' laptop, and Vista... nightmare!

Hopefully the above 'patch' should resolve some issues in network diagnosis!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---