Thread: Outlook XP Slow after Messenger is disabled...

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Outlook XP Slow after Messenger is disabled...

When you choose to disable Windows Messenger to start and disable run in background, Outlook XP get very slow. It seems to check messenger.

To fix this rename c:\program files\messenger folder to like c:\program files\messenger.OFF

tip from TweakXP.com

Now I can run MSN Messenger 5.0 and not run Windows Messenger 4.7 without slowing Outlook.

You can also remove Windows Messenger from winXP: type this command "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove" without quotes.

Previuosly this also stopped my MSN Messenger 5.0 from working, don't know how that is with the latest build 527
    source: http://www.windowsxp.nu/
    BB

What a great message. I had exactly this problem and this was the exact solution!!!!!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    glad it helped proudtower. I had the same problem and looked for a solution and this is what I found.
    For others, give it a shot if you think it's happening to you.
    BB

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    BB, don't you have idea what can slow down Outlook XP when using Hotmail as an email?
    I discovered that it doesn't connect they way Outlook Express does, so instead of downloading the messages like it would do with POP, it connects to the server and it runs from the server. This makes Outlook Extremely slow (not to mention that I have 3 hotmail emails)
    Do you know any fix for this?
    I know this is not the threath, but I had stopped using Outlook because of this reason.