Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TZ - slowing down?

Hybrid View

Arrow TZ - slowing down?

First, I want to explain "the why" for this post. For some time I have noticed that we have been getting fewer request for technical help than we once did. I am curious if something has changed here at TZ that is keeping people away. If so, we need to identify any negatives and fix them.

I hope we get a vigorous discussion started. Our members have a wealth of knowledge which will be interesting to hear.

To start the discussion, I will mention a few possibilities:

1. Computer users are more knowledgeable and don't need as much help.

The problem is that every day I come in contact that are just as clueless about computer operation as they were in the past. My barber asked me to look at a problem with his computer. This was a great barter opportunity. Free haircut for quick computer fix. A couple minutes into the work, I noticed that there was an audience looking over my shoulder. There were comments, "I didn't know you could do that".

2. Vista has solved all of the problems. I can't speak to this one since I have decided to migrate to linux instead of Vista.

3. They are not getting the technical help that we once provided.

4. People that need help are not finding us.

5. Other.

As I stated above, I hope we get a lively discussion. You may think that there is no slowdown and I am full of s**t. That was probably a mistake. I predict at least 50 replies attesting to the fact that I am full of s**t.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Techzonez Governor Administrator Conan's Avatar
    The slowdown is due to BB not being here and spamming the board with his useless posts!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    You may think that there is no slowdown and I am full of s**t. That was probably a mistake. I predict at least 50 replies attesting to the fact that I am full of s**t.
    You're wrong so far

I think its slowed down at other sites also (forum wise), not just TZ.

XP is mature, stable, has few problems and contrary to M$ numbers I don't think Vista is a success. The transition from XP to Vista isn't as great as it was between 98/ME to XP, less people need help. XP was the boom era in tech forums. Now the roll has reversed....because of Vista and the advancement in Linux, Linux forums are the boom and there's no shortage in post there.

Specialty forums, there's more of them now a days. People hang out at their hobby site, these sites usually have a section for general PC help.

I've said this a few years ago to one of our mods, I'll say now for all.....The more successful a site becomes with *News, the least successful it is with its forum. I saw this years back when I went to the top visited News sites, they had little forum traffic compared to tech help only sites. Don't know why

YouTube and MySpace, between the two people have little time for anything else

Google, people fix most of their problems with a Google search.

"Huge naked stars list!!! Must see!!!!!!" 2 million saw TZ as a joke ?

I don't know really, just things to ponder..........

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame View Post
    I think its slowed down at other sites also (forum wise), not just TZ.

XP is mature, stable, has few problems and contrary to M$ numbers I don't think Vista is a success. The transition from XP to Vista isn't as great as it was between 98/ME to XP, less people need help. XP was the boom era in tech forums. Now the roll has reversed....because of Vista and the advancement in Linux, Linux forums are the boom and there's no shortage in post there.
    FG has hit the nail on the head.

XP is now a pretty stable OS and the initial technical problems have been well covered here at TZ and other forums. Therefore if a user requires answers they can easily find them via Google, etc, without the need to physically post the question in a forum.

An interesting point to note is that even though our active posting is down we are still maintaining healthy, consistent traffic. (and not just for the "naked" thread).

Looking back over our 5+ plus years in business, although TZ has a wealth of technical brains we have always been known as a more social forum rather than a technical forum. I suppose you could say we were an early form of the popular social networking sites that have sprung up in recent years which i think is something for us to be proud of.

The bottom line is, most forums in general are slowly losing out to blogs, etc.

I also agree with FG regarding the growth of Linux. Open source may be the future and that is an area that TZ could, and should, possibly tap into.

Whatever happens, one thing is for sure, TZ is here to stay!

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Amen, rev! I've been at this since Win 3.1, and google and I are old friends. But when "been there, done that, here's how to fix it" trumps anything I can find, this is where I get the best help.

And most blogs overdo the omphaloskeposis.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

You got me with "omphaloskeposis".?? Anyway, I have been getting my tech questions answered by using the search function on this site. I thought people were getting tired of my "silly" postings, so I use the search first. DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhat View Post
    You got me with "omphaloskeposis
    A rare typo by Pia.

Its "Omphaloskepsis" and loosely means "self importance"

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

... contemplation of one's own navel.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Bronze Member
    I like xp and so do I. I think vista is just a gussied up version to increase sales until Vienna arrives.
    lynchknot's altered ego

Vista's faster, more fluid and did away with all those "My" folders. But the last major change was from 3.1 to 9x.

love, piaqt

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by piaqt View Post
    Vista's faster
    Where is it faster ?

PIII 512MB waits for answer

centrino duo 2GB says loading, finding stuff, etc. It just moves more fluidly.

love, piaqt

This isn't exactly on topic, but it should be fun to debate.

Here is the data that I trust on the speed of xp vs vista. LINK

It is eleven pages so don't give up before the end.

Found this little item for Fast Game.

http://www.tomshardware.com/site/fla...rt_comedy.html

Too answer the questing is TZ slowing down; I have to say I have noticed a significant drop off of posting within the last few months. There was a time when I could log into the site and see 20 – 40 new items within a 24 hour period. Now it seems like there is only a hand full of posting. It also seems like we lost a few of are regulars (Other than BB) that would post. I’m not really sure on what has happened but a defiant slow down is noticeable.