Thread: Celeron D vs Celeron

Celeron D vs Celeron

Hi All
    Since I favour AMD CPUs, I am not up on the play with Intel at all (plus I think they are inferior, but let's not go there...). Anyway, I'm trying to build a friend a cheap computer (aren't we all?) - I've picked up a cheap Celeron D 2.8GHz, 533MHz FSB, socket 478 (only NZD$26!). I have the possibility of purchasing a white-box system that has a "normal" Celeron CPU running on an Asus P4PE motherboard. I checked the CPU compatibility chart, and the Asus site lists Celeron CPUs up to 2.8GHz, and Pentium 4's up to 3.2GHz. However, there is no mention of Celeron Ds. I've done a bit of Googling to try to find out what is different about the 2 types of Celeron. All I can up with is that one has 128kb L2 cache, and the other 256kb cache, plus the "D"s are based on Prescott technology. All that being true, is there any reason why the "D" I have wouldn't run as it ought on the P4PE board? There appears to be nothing to indicate a problem, but perhaps someone would kindly shed some light for me? I've sent an e-mail to the Asus tech support, but I don't expect I'll hear back for a few days and I need to make a decision on the PC I want to use in the next 24 hours. The link to the CPU chart for the P4PE is here:
    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...Language=en-us
    Thanks in advance.
    Peter

Since you favor AMD, these charts should provide the information you are looking for..

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu..._10.html#sect0
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Thanks for the link. Interesting info, but I'm still left with my original question. Will a Celeron D work on a board that is not specifically rated for the "D" series, even if the "D" I have has the right socket and FSB?

I don't see why it would work. Like you I have always been partial to AMD, which means that I am not confident enough to definitely say that you won't run into a problem. Let us know what you decide.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Turns out that a board that won't specifically take a Celeron D is a no-go. As I suspected, it's to do with the fact that the "D"s are based on Prescott technology. So, in short, if one comes across a mobo that will take a P4 Prescott CPU, a Celeron D will work in it too. If not, then one is stuffed. I got that answer direct from Asus (but they didn't use the phrase about being stuffed... )

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Yes, the difference between the old/new chips are the pin-outs... Socket 478 to socket 775... Now, socket775 is used from the celeron, to Core2Duo to QuadCore!! The best buy at the moment would be a 965 board with updated BIOS, or P35, which will support the new pyneron(?) chips (45nm) to be released in the new year!!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---