Thread: PC serial number?

PC serial number?

Hey guys,
    This is a weird question but i wanted to ask to be sure.Is there any way to track or trace a computers serial number other then the sticker label on it?Reason i ask is someone i know got ahold of a laptop worth about $900 and is trying to sell it for $200 now obviously this is a great deal however i am skeptical because i know a very good possibility of how it was obtained and i dont want to risk any trouble if you know what i mean.If i did decide to get it obviously i would wipe it clean with a fresh installation of windows but having it tracked in any way is my main concern before getting it.Any help would be great.

Bronze Member
    Call the serial number in to see if it's been reported stolen. The last thing you want is to be charged with receiving stolen property but the chance of that is very low itself because there is no one going around checking serial numbers.
    lynchknot's altered ego

yep thats why i was worried i dont want that charge haha but the price is so tempting.But with microsoft lately becoming much more sneaky i just was wondering if the serial can be tracked on the software side in any way or anything of that nature.

Purchasing stolen material lets the thief profit from crime and perpetuates the problem. I turn down "deals" all the time. Cant stand a sneak-thief! I've made some really cheap and reliable alarms as well as video-taping. I catch someone about twice a year. The cops really get a kick out of it when I show them the tape of someone they know. DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Bronze Member
    Have you ever been to a police auction? There are hundreds of laptops and everything you can think of. The cops, if they find it, most likely will sell it and make a 100% profit.
    lynchknot's altered ego

Thats crazy blackhat lol i could imagine the look on the cops faces after that.And yeah i know what you mean about theives i know i would be highly ticked if my PC's were stolen too.

@usergame,
    Nope never went to any police auctions yet although i heard the same.