Thread: Recommendations

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar

Recommendations

I am looking for suggestions on what Linux to use.

I'm preparing my server for migration to Linux. The core items that I'm looking for are:

1) GUI - Yes, I need a GUI until I'm familar with command lines.
    2) Ease of use/install - Last time I played with Linux, I spent a few days compiling drivers. I'd like to avoid that.
    3) RDC type ability. I know that VNC and an application called NX will work.
    4) Server stability - The computer will be playing a server role (file storage mainly).

I'm thinking those are my 'main' requirements now. I'll probably think of more as I come across them.

Thanks!

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    CentOS - very RedHat like.
    Ubuntu - seems to work with everything
    RedHat - but it costs $$$
    OpenBSD - super secure, but not that easy to install.

go here for more info: distrowatch.com

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Ubuntu 7.10 was released just a few days ago. It is a highly rated, full blown distribution that should easily accomplish all of the functions you mentioned. There is a free download.

The other major distributions - Suse, Debian, Mandiva, and Red Hat can also be considered. Remember that there are thousands of programs available for linux use. There are varying degrees of difficulty with installation and setup of many of these applications. Easy of use is the thing all of the distributions are attempting to accomplish.

I would feel remiss, if I didn't mention the distro which I use. It is Xandros 4.0 Home Premium. The premium version comes with a 400+ page manual and a built in security suite. You can find it for about $50 on the internet. There is a free download of Xandros 3.0 which is much less capable and does not contain the security suite. It felt good from my first use. Software installation is easier with Xandros than any of the other distro's that I tested before settling on it. I was productive from the beginning. XP users have little trouble adjusting to Xandros.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    The BSD's would be the most secure and are very fast & stable, but, they are hard to setup for the new UNIX user......except this one little gem

PC-BSD install has the option for desktop or server It also installs easier than anything I've ever used.

Install this PBI and you can serve everything (maybe Thanksgiving dinner) PBI's install like programs in Windows, double click and away you go

Linux

I'd give CentOS a fair shake, its the free version of Red Hat Enterprise.

Ubuntu Server Edition is free and Canonical is making a big push in the server market, should be solid.

Other than that you can use any version of Linux....depends on how bloated you want the OS.....and you don't compile drivers now-a-days
    Last edited by FastGame; October 17th, 2007 at 01:00 AM.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    what about Fedora? I used 4,5 and 6 and were almost identical to Fedora. I really liked 5. I could Install a Fedora or Red Hat in 10 minutes.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Fedora is more or less a Desktop OS, not specifically targeted towards servers.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I like the Fedora 7 also. Here are a couple of links that I find helpful.

http://www.howtoforge.com/useful_linux_commands

http://www.howtoforge.com/taxonomy_menu/1?