Thread: Its doing it again! (Erratic time problem)

(Deep in the wilds of) Leicestershire, UK

Its doing it again! (Erratic time problem)

This Thread

A week ago my PC failed to boot, switched off/on and all OK except the bios settings were lost.............now a few days later I'm back to the strange date/time problems that happened a while ago.

I'll change the battery again and see what happens.

Time for a new motherboard i think.

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    I had a similar problem on my 1st PC (Win 3.1, 250 mg hd). There's a separate battery that powers the time function. Try finding & replacing that one. It's probably less expensive than a new power battery, and has got to be way less than a new motherboard.

Good luck.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I had the same problem with settings and time everytime my pc crashed or I forced it off with the power button since i'm time pressed for restarts...

anyway. I went through a couple bad batteries I got from other motherboards until I found the right battery that stopped the timing problems.. No prob now for months.

Good luck!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Lol this must be a catchy bug,Few days ago we had a power outage here when power came back on i went to reboot my PC and what did i find...my Bio's settings were lost.Reset everything Pc booted fine now i have the time issues and also whenever i go to shut down my PC it wont shut down just restarts instead.Tried doing a forced shut down and restart and Bio's settings are gone again.Hope replacing my battery solves it otherwise i fear my Mobo might be going up on me.

I have not posted to this thread, yet I have been keeping up with it. This morning I decided to do some research. It was interesting that a Google search for "erratic time" resulted in this http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...c+time&spell=1. Thats right, your time problem is #3 on Google. That suggests to me that many others are having similar problems.

Several months back I had a problem trying to access TZ with Firefox. I don't remember the details now, but there was a lot of frustration when that problem did not respond to the normal fixes. Finally someone mentioned that it could be due to a Firefox plugin. Being desperate, I decided to try their theory. One by one, I disabled my Firefox plugins. On about the third try, my problem disappeared.

I don't believe that your issue is a Firefox plugin. I do however, believe it could be a utility that you are using which contains a bug that resets your time. As much as I like to blame Windows for many of the bad things that happen to our computers, this is one time that suspect that Windows is blameless.

Good luck!
    Last edited by efc; November 9th, 2007 at 18:15 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

(Deep in the wilds of) Leicestershire, UK
    Interesting! Just went into safe mode, set the time at 16:00, went away for an hour, rebooted and the BIOS time was still 16:00. The time isn't being saved but the Bios settings are..............

Anyway, I picked up a motherboard for a tenner at the weekend so when I get the required level of enthusiasm to rip out all the kit that is burying the base unit I'll swap it out.

I only use this PC for email and web stuff so its not too important. The main problem with a static (ish) time is that scheduled events don't happen......like backups....virus checker updates........bill payment reminders.......

Thanks for all the interest. It is strange , isn't it.