Thread: Gmail/AOL IMAP service

Gmail/AOL IMAP service

Is anyone else using it? I've been using it for about 3 days now. I've been waiting forever for free IMAP, so it's very exciting. It works well! It's just a little slow (using Thunderbird, don't know if that's software-specific but I imagine not).

I also noticed that AOL is offering free IMAP email as well (and free webmail). I have been trying out their IMAP service, and it works but there is some issue with deleting emails. I can delete them in my client (in this case Outlook) but they would not delete permanently until I deleted them in webmail; instead they would just have a strikethrough through all the text. Haven't tried a different client to see if Outlook was the problem though.

Anyone else have an experience they care to share? Tips and tricks? Etc.

GMAIL also allows you to use pop mail for free and gives you nearly 5gb of storage. On top of that you can set it up as an SMTP relay to allow you to use any email account wherever you are connected to the internet. Previously you would have had to pay for a service like or have your own mail server.

GMAIL is awesome, oh and you get the calendar which will SMS your phone with appointments etc...

Like I said - awesome.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?